Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New page layout

Default Re: New page layout

Changed my resolution, but other (elder) members of my family are complaining b/c they cannot see the letters at the resolution you recommended Lucky for me I am near sighted (but still have to look close at the screen to see what is going on).

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    as a mac user i was wondering what had happened. on the front page the list of current topics is down below about 6 inches of blank space so i need to scroll down to see them
    It's not a Mac issue as I use Mac's and don't have any blank spaces. What browser are you using?
    Regards, Barry

Sometimes I wish we had the option of loading more than 10 posts per page for viewing.

I'll see what I can do about that. 20 on a page? 30?
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'll see what I can do about that. 20 on a page? 30?
    Either or both would be nice. Re: revenue sources, have you considered creating, or perhaps you already have, an Amazon Associates account at Amazon.com? I think this would allow you to place a widget (I think that is what they are called) in the margin of Beesource.com which would allow visitors to search for and purchase items, including books, from Amazon.com. Each purchase resulting from a click on that widget would generate a small amount of revenue. If I understand correctly, different schemes generate different percentages. In other words, you have control over how the items are presented on the site. I'm not sure what the percentages are or how much revenue something like this might generate for your site, but I would think beekeepers, and especially new beekeepers, purchase a lot of books.

Here is the information page: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Sometimes I wish we had the option of loading more than 10 posts per page for viewing.
    Check you user CP

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Here you go: User CP -> Edit Options -> Threads Display Options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page

Several to choose from.
    Regards, Barry

Greg -

I early on I had an affiliate with Barnes and Noble, but then they got out of it. I'll check into the affiliate program again. Thanks for the reminder!
    Regards, Barry

Mike's on the ball, even with that high resolution screen.
    Regards, Barry

Barry,

My pleasure. I know for a fact that other community related websites successfully generate revenue through Amazon.com this way. I purchase a lot of books throughout the year, and have used Amazon.com almost exclusively for the past dozen or so years for that purpose. Likewise, I do a lot of my holiday/birthday gift shopping online, at least 90% of which is through Amazon.com. Every time I make a purchase from Amazon, I visit another website that I frequent and support, search for the item I am looking to purchase using that site's Amazon widget, and donate a little money to the cause with every purchase. I don't do that because I'm such a big friend of that cause, although I am, but instead choose to buy items that way because it does not cost me anything extra to make that small donation to the website. I suspect many of the Beesource.com users, including me, will do the same for this site.

By the way, the new advertisements in the right-hand margin are a nice addition. I will use them to make purchases whenever possible.

Thanks again for this great resource.

Greg

The problem I see is that when you make your browser window smaller, it just starts cutting off everything instead of resizing itself. It 'should' resize to fit whatever size your browser window and screen is. This often happens when settings stipulate an exact size in pixels for various boxes, rather than stipulating a certain percentage of the available screen view. Defining page elements by percentage of available window space they are alloted is what you want, and it's fairly important to have your website resize to fit when folks resize their browser window.

I have a 19" diagonal screen, and it still cuts off the very right hand side of the ads unless I pull my browser all the way wide- which i don't want to do because i have other windows I need to show up on my desktop, behind the browser window.

Hope this helps.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Are you talking about when you're in the 'reply' window? This doesn't happen anywhere else on the forum that I can find. I'm looking into this issue to see what can be done.
    Regards, Barry

Are you talking about when you're in the 'reply' window? This doesn't happen anywhere else on the forum that I can find. I'm looking into this issue to see what can be done.
    No, it's on every page, including the main page.
    Nothing resizes when I make my browser window smaller, everything just gets cut off or starts overlapping instead. Not happening on any other websites, and this just started happening a few days ago i think.
    I'm on windows XP, latest Firefox browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Omie View Post
    No, it's on every page, including the main page.
    Nothing resizes when I make my browser window smaller, everything just gets cut off or starts overlapping instead. Not happening on any other websites, and this just started happening a few days ago i think.
    I'm on windows XP, latest Firefox browser.
    Barry, I have the same setup and that is what happened to me. Just happens here. That is what I was talking about!

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Barry, I have to leave town for a day, sorry. I'll be back Sat night.

So much for the affiliate program. Ya gotta love our politicians.

-------
    Hello,

For well over a decade, the Amazon Associates Program has worked with thousands of Illinois residents. Unfortunately, a new state tax law signed by Governor Quinn compels us to terminate this program for Illinois-based participants. It specifically imposes the collection of taxes from consumers on sales by online retailers - including but not limited to those referred by Illinois-based affiliates like you - even if those retailers have no physical presence in the state.

We had opposed this new tax law because it is unconstitutional and counterproductive. It was supported by national retailing chains, most of which are based outside Illinois, that seek to harm the affiliate advertising programs of their competitors. Similar legislation in other states has led to job and income losses, and little, if any, new tax revenue. We deeply regret that its enactment forces this action.

As a result of the new law, contracts with all Illinois affiliates of the Amazon Associates Program will be terminated and those Illinois residents will no longer receive advertising fees for sales referred to Amazon.com, Endless.com, orSmallParts.com. Please be assured that all qualifying advertising fees earned prior to April 15, 2011 will be processed and paid in full in accordance with the regular payment schedule. Based on your account closure date of April 15, 2011, any final payments will be paid by July 1, 2011.

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you are a resident of Illinois. If you are not currently a permanent resident of Illinois, or if you are relocating to another state in the near future, you can manage the details of your Associates account here. And if you relocate to another state after April 15, please contact us for reinstatement into the Amazon Associates Program.

To be clear, this development will only impact our ability to continue the Associates Program in Illinois, and will not affect the ability of Illinois residents to purchase online at www.amazon.com from Amazon’s retail business.

We have enjoyed working with you and other Illinois-based participants in the Amazon Associates Program and, if this situation is rectified, would very much welcome the opportunity to re-open our Associates Program to Illinois residents.

Regards,

The Amazon Associates Team
    Regards, Barry

I think a small fee for the For Sale classifieds would be reasonable. I don't mind the advertising at all.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Quote Originally Posted by buhbee View Post
    Barry,

My pleasure. I know for a fact that other community related websites successfully generate revenue through Amazon.com this way. . . . Every time I make a purchase from Amazon, I visit another website that I frequent and support, search for the item I am looking to purchase using that site's Amazon widget, and donate a little money to the cause with every purchase. . . I suspect many of the Beesource.com users, including me, will do the same for this site.

Greg
    I wholeheartedly agree!!! I don't order a ton, but I do a few times per year.

So much for the affiliate program. Ya gotta love our politicians.
    Well shucks. I'm sorry to hear that, but it doesn't surprise me. State legislators everywhere are grasping for anything to bolster^h^h^h^h I mean balance their budgets. There will come a day when our states or federal government, or likely both, will levy an annual tax on individual gardens and beehives.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by RiodeLobo View Post
    I think a small fee for the For Sale classifieds would be reasonable. I don't mind the advertising at all.
    For those of us that advertise a lot it would stack up.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast