Default bees dying the enviroment and pesticides

Just got this from Kim Flottom> Bees are suffering because of our envioroment, diversity of bloom and pesticides. I think alot of us have been saying this for a long time...our .bee problems are caused by more than one thing. One thing I have noticed is in summer I dont have those huge beards laying out on the front. Yes i have beards of bees but not as big as they use to be. Many other beekeepers are saying the same thing! I also think this may be another reason why our honey crops are down. I got a 150 lb average last year but I think with the bloom I had I should have had 200 plus. Hey BUD any comments on the systemic pesticides....Jeff Petis in this article impicates problems with them!

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-20...2.archive.html

Default Re: bees dying the enviroment and pesticides

I'm just grateful that I'm not in the bee business for anything other than keeping them - or at least providing them a temporary home (prison?). I'll do so as long as I'm physically able and have the few extra pennies it takes. The extent of my pay-back so far is 3 deep combs of capped honey that I have put aside for emergency feed - but more so than that is I now see bees around my yard, when just a few years ago, there were none to be found.

But the sorry truth of the whole situation is that industrial (big ag) agriculture, money and influence will prevail until impacted pollentated agriculture exceeds the value of those crops who are (curently) reliant on pesticides for (real or manufactured) 'sustainability'. Maybe there will end up being an Egyptian or Libyian-type revolt for the 80% of crops that depend on pollentators when the rioters will be shot with GM-filled bean bags and have their gonads drilled and injected with clothianidin.

When I drive around the neighborhoods and see those little post-application signs posted in those picture-perfect (and weed-free) lawns warning that pets and children need to stay off it for x-number of days pretty much tells the story of what people currently value. I like the spin they put on pesticides as 'insect-prevention products'

The movies 'Fast Food Nation' and 'Idiocracy' are how far from the truth?

http://www.crocodyl.org/wiki/bayer_ag

http://www.bayer.com/en/Products-from-A-to-Z.aspx

The wheat, milo, rice... farmer is gonna say "I don't care if squash, strawberrys, blueberrys...) costs me $1.00 more a pound to buy - I'm in the grain business"

The vegetable farmer and the bee keeper are gonna say " I don't care if a loaf of bread costs me another dollar - I make my living selling honey and pollenating almond orchards".

http://www.opensecrets.org/index.php

"The industry’s lobbying expenditures have steadily increased for the past decade and reached a record $34.6 million in 2009. The top spender on lobbying that year was chemical giant Monsanto -- the maker of Roundup pesticide -- which spent nearly $8.7 million lobbying on issues like patent reform that affect its genetically modified seeds.

A diverse group of issues is important to this industry, from patent reform to U.S. trade policy, environmental regulations and immigration.

-- Steve Spires
    Updated December 2010"

Where's the beef? (alfalfa is a pollenated plant). As gas prices rise $.33 and the cost of food is up 20% and the state of our education systems are in ruins as well as state financials - people just don't care or even have the awareness to know the difference unless it directly effects them.

I was in the doctor's waiting room the other day watching the news on Libya and a woman sitting next to me, watching in astonishment, asked "how long has this been going on - I didn't even know...?" Only for about 3 weeks I said. Not that news these days is a great thing to watch, BUT.

As long as there are folks wondering about the size of top entrance holes, effectiveness of SBB, reversal vs CB, etc. as well as the fact there is a bee buzzing around in the back yard gives me hope.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Don't be dicouraged Sutton - people, in many cases, care a lot more about the size cork and their sources than the product itself - easier dealing with something other than some conflict-infused diatribe to respond or contribute to.

(psst - the secret is in the thread heading)

Pulling your chain, of course - thanks for the link.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Sutton, You know that I agree with you completely on this.
    Hoods wood I agree with most of what you say, except Roundup is a herbicide and doesn't harm bees.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Valleyman - Read the post again...

The top spender on lobbying that year was chemical giant Monsanto -- the maker of Roundup pesticide -- which spent nearly $8.7 million lobbying on issues like patent reform that affect its genetically modified seeds.
    The point being made was that Monsanto spent the money on lobbying their GM seeds - not the by-the-way fact that they happened to also be the producers of Round-Up.

And the above statement is not exactly true either - Round-Up, as far as I understand it to be, is a herbicide, not a pesticide (how fortunate is THAT?).

Herbicide, pesticide - what exactly are we trying to do, anyway?

Hoodswood, I certainly agree with the post other than the Roundup part. What hasn't been reported is that when you use roundup and get a kill down it destroys all of the good vegetation, leaving only undesirable noxious growth. While Roundup is beneficial for what it was developed for there are many of the noxious plants that are becoming resistant to it and other herbicides also.
    As I have stated many times before, I do not believe that the pesticides are the only thing killing the bees, thanks to the chemical companys, especially Bayer right now, and their money being spent on politicians/lobbyist. I believe we have a host of other problems also.
    I also believe that the pesticide problem could be the easiest to solve if it wasn't unprofitable for the chemical Companys to do so. BUT IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!
    Once again I'm done on this subject as it is only going to be hyjacked by folks who either own lots of Bayer and other chemical companys stock, or are so blind that they can't see the forest for the trees.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    Hoodswood, I certainly agree with the post other than the Roundup part. What hasn't been reported is that when you use roundup and get a kill down it destroys all of the good vegetation, leaving only undesirable noxious growth.snip . . ..
    I have heard recently, bee meeting or other news source, that it is being reported heavily in the Canadian prairies that the bees are indeed starving because there is only 1 food source available at any given time. There are no blooming weeds or wildflowers between crop rows, or around the fields to give the bees an alternate, possibly more desirable, nectar/pollen source. Herbicides seem to be no less dangerous than some pesticides

valleyman - what am I saying specifically re the round-up part to which you disagree so that I can either correct your misconception of your perception, or reiterate my disapproval over it and other herbicide use.

The horses are now almost unrecognizable.

As an organic gardener I don't care for Monsanto and it's blind plight to ravage the world of crops and pushing round up everywhere. Why does a herbicide manufactuer go around and buy seed and all rights to it so you as a gardener can't even grow it without paying them first???

Monsanto is bad for gardeners and beekeepers
    Think about it....Buy American

There is alot of bad chemicals out there in the market. I hate seeing my neighbors using 7 dust on the gardens and the guy spraying round up on those beautiful blooms. The real point is we leave in a world where people eat, live in homes, wear clothes, drive cars, and try to make a living. It's a love hate relationship. We don't eat if we don't have bees to polinate, but just as well if we have pest eating up our crops. Most clothes come from cotton. I live in the south and my dad was a farmer. The boll weeval can destroy a crop. The combines clog with weeds and and the product is ruined. So we developed round up cotton and a great trap count system for spraying for boll weevals. I love the home I live in and will not let termites eat it up. Its not perfect, but here in America we can raise our voices and speak our opinions and live a great life. Education and more backbone is what America needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    As an organic gardener I don't care for Monsanto and it's blind plight to ravage the world of crops and pushing round up everywhere. Why does a herbicide manufactuer go around and buy seed and all rights to it so you as a gardener can't even grow it without paying them first???

Monsanto is bad for gardeners and beekeepers
    Why? It's called free market capitaism, which has given you your standard of living. Business, it's business. And profit, the reason to be in business. Any business has a responsibility to it's stock holders, so they do what they do best and the better they do it, the more profit they make.

As to "bees dying the environment and pesticides", the problem is much more widely spread than just honeybees and even just pollinating insects. Other animals are also effected by our generally polluted environment. Animals like newts and frogs and salamanders and many more animals apparently are effected.

And it's not just insecticides, it's fungicides and herbicides, regardless of whether it has been established that, under label stated usage, those materials effect bees or not.

It is up to each of us to be as responsible as we can be when it comes to pesticide use. And if we can, their non-use. As our organic gardener stated above. Life is tough, no one gets out of it alive.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Why? It's called free market capitaism, which has given you your standard of living. Business, it's business. And profit, the reason to be in business. Any business has a responsibility to it's stock holders, so they do what they do best and the better they do it, the more profit they make.

As to "bees dying the environment and pesticides", the problem is much more widely spread than just honeybees and even just pollinating insects. Other animals are also effected by our generally polluted environment. Animals like newts and frogs and salamanders and many more animals apparently are effected.

And it's not just insecticides, it's fungicides and herbicides, regardless of whether it has been established that, under label stated usage, those materials effect bees or not.

It is up to each of us to be as responsible as we can be when it comes to pesticide use. And if we can, their non-use. As our organic gardener stated above. Life is tough, no one gets out of it alive.
    Ahhh but not buying into Monsanto and they'll change their tune. Making money, as stated by you, is Monsanto's goal you just need to take it away.

As far as free market captalism...well, it only raises certain peoples living of standard, generally the ones at the top
    Think about it....Buy American