Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: corks

Default corks

Is there a store that sells corks for plugging up holes drilled in hive bodies, or do you have to order them somewhere? I'm thinking maybe Michaels Craft stores but not sure. John

Default Re: corks

check at local home brew stores

You could just use a piece of window screen on the inside of the super. After a while the bees will propolize the screen, effectively closing the hole. Or did youwant to be able to remove the cork every now and then as an upper entrance?

Maybe a wine makers supply store?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I have purchased at Menard's, Home Depot, Ace, and other hdwre stores.

sqkcrk, yeah I just wanted to be able to close them in winter or whenever else I needed to. John

what I use is PVC end caps (in my vent boxes). Measure the OD of the one(s) that you think you want to use and size it to the appropriate forstner/hole bit. Mine fit tight enough that they never fall out.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

hoodswoods, are you talking about the PVC end caps from the plumbing department, like 1/2", 3/4"? Do you put a short piece of PVC pipe on the caps also? Or do you just insert the cap into the drilled hole in the hive, which end goes in first, the solid end, or the end with the socket? Hope these questions don't sound moronic, just trying to get it right. John

Yes - plumbing dept. I use the domed ones that fit over the pipe, altho I believe they also carry the flat end ones that are either the same size as the pipe or actually fit inside(?). I put the open end toward the hive, but my holes (sic) are double window screened for vents, not entrances, but I doubt the bees would have much to do with it in either case.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

(no pipe, by the way) Here is a pic of one of my hives (I hope) - winter time with bottom vents closed.

Oh poop!
    Last edited by hoodswoods; 03-09-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: image not displayed

beautiful - heh?

Here is the link:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/z...h_12122009.jpg

I put holes in for winter. Top box to let moisture out. Came from the local bee inspector. I drill them so they are on a upper angle
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

[QUOTE=sqkcrk;627734]You could just use a piece of window screen on the inside of the super. After a while the bees will propolize the screen, effectively closing the hole...QUOTE]

Mark, I've run these screened-covered vents for a couple of years and never had them propolise them - do you think it's because they are not adjacent to the comb - per se?

I know that I probably violate top and bottom bee space, but again I don't believe that I experience any more burr comb in those directions than I do between 2 hive boxes - in fact I would say less, but I have yet to experience swam cells 'dripping' from my bottom box.

Not sure how big or small the holes you want to plug are but these might do

http://www.beemaidbeestore.com/browse.php?txtCatID=137

There are two perfect covers for drilled holes on every soup can. just screw them on one side with a pan head screw and rotate them open or closed with your hive tool. Save the corks for wine or meade bottles!

I usually have some news paper near for the smoker, I just wad up a piece of paper and poke it in the hole.

the local wine making shop would have a varied assortment, I just use the plastic dust caps for hydraulic lines from the heavy equip. shop down the road..
    Honeydew

I drill a 1" hole and that'll take a #12 tapered cork, the nice thing about the cork is that you can cut em in half to reduce the hole if you want. I get mine from a home brew shop.

I roll up a wad of grtass into a tight bakk and stuff that into the hole. Always free and available.

I took a Balloon and put it in a hole filled it enough to stop it up good.
    The funny part was watching those bees ricochet when the one ornery stung stung my make shift Balloon Plug

Don't try this around kids

Tommyt

I second Mike Palmer's "tight bakk of grtass".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast