Default Where can I buy a Nuc in New Jersey

Hi everyone. I have a few questions. I live in southern New Jersey.
    I found someone selling nucs for 125$ in south jersey with a pickup date in June.

Is this a fair price and/or date ?

Does anyone know where else I can buy nucs in New Jersey or if I can order them online and have them shipped to me ?

I would like to get a nuc and not a package; I am under the impression that this is a better choice for starters.

Default Re: Where can I buy a Nuc in New Jersey

I don't know its a better choice per se. It gives the bees more of a headstart. A package can have advantages too that depend on your wants. For example, if you were doing all medium hive bodies, most nucs come in deeps, so lets you build your hive with the frame/box sizes you want, no potentially treated comb if you are wanting ot minimize treatment, etc.

That said, the best thing to do is look up your local beekeepers association. I'd imagine there is a county one or other group somewhere near you. Some of the beeks there might a) have hives available or b) be able to point you to a local supplier.

I am buying a NUC ready in May, for $115. Good deal?

Whats your time worth? Figure in feeding, attention, package, possible loss. I think its fair.

I am also starting with three, 2# packages as well. Get the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    ...the best thing to do is look up your local beekeepers association. I'd imagine there is a county one or other group somewhere near you.
    Agree. The local clubs can connect you with beeks who may have nucs to sell:
    http://njbeekeepers.org/LocalBranches.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jeremynj View Post
    Is this a fair price and/or date ?
    Does anyone know where else I can buy nucs in New Jersey or if I can order them online and have them shipped to me ?
    I would like to get a nuc and not a package; I am under the impression that this is a better choice for starters.
    Hi and welcome!
    If you want a nuc from the northeast, then June is a typical time to get them.
    The price and time you mention sound fair.
    i suggest -only in a helpful way- that next year you make your ordering plans in Nov and December and get bees ordered by January- every month that goes by after that will have more and more suppliers sold out.
    Getting a nuc to start out in beekeeping is I think a great way to start. You'll be learning plenty your first year anyway no matter how you get started, and a nuc will give you a head start. You'll find that having some drawn comb is a big advantage in almost all ways, and a nuc typically has 5 drawn frames. Drawn comb frames are like money in the bank to a BK.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson