Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

corks

6K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  summer1052 
#1 ·
Is there a store that sells corks for plugging up holes drilled in hive bodies, or do you have to order them somewhere? I'm thinking maybe Michaels Craft stores but not sure. John

#3 ·
You could just use a piece of window screen on the inside of the super. After a while the bees will propolize the screen, effectively closing the hole. Or did youwant to be able to remove the cork every now and then as an upper entrance?

Maybe a wine makers supply store?

#12 ·
You could just use a piece of window screen on the inside of the super. After a while the bees will propolize the screen, effectively closing the hole...QUOTE]

Mark, I've run these screened-covered vents for a couple of years and never had them propolise them - do you think it's because they are not adjacent to the comb - per se?

I know that I probably violate top and bottom bee space, but again I don't believe that I experience any more burr comb in those directions than I do between 2 hive boxes - in fact I would say less, but I have yet to experience swam cells 'dripping' from my bottom box.

#6 ·
what I use is PVC end caps (in my vent boxes). Measure the OD of the one(s) that you think you want to use and size it to the appropriate forstner/hole bit. Mine fit tight enough that they never fall out.

#7 ·
hoodswoods, are you talking about the PVC end caps from the plumbing department, like 1/2", 3/4"? Do you put a short piece of PVC pipe on the caps also? Or do you just insert the cap into the drilled hole in the hive, which end goes in first, the solid end, or the end with the socket? Hope these questions don't sound moronic, just trying to get it right. John

#8 ·
Yes - plumbing dept. I use the domed ones that fit over the pipe, altho I believe they also carry the flat end ones that are either the same size as the pipe or actually fit inside(?). I put the open end toward the hive, but my holes (sic) are double window screened for vents, not entrances, but I doubt the bees would have much to do with it in either case.

#26 ·
John,

We make wine and have a LOT of spent corks. ;-)

If you need some wine bottle sized corks, just PM you address to me and I will send you some. Too bad I didn't know two days ago, my lady friend just went back to Warren and Shelby Twp to spend some time with the new grandbaby. I could have sent them along with her.

Jay

#27 ·
Is there a store that sells corks for plugging up holes drilled in hive bodies...
I don't know what size holes you have in your boxes, but drilling a 3/4 inch hole in supers use to be a common thing. You may want to look at wooden dowel rods. For a 3/4 hole Just cut a .750 inch long piece of 3/4 inch diameter dowel rod, smear on a little glue, and wham the plug flush in the hole with a mallet. I guess you could call this a FIX instead of a plug. Dowel rods come in many sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.