Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

split

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  honeybeekeeper 
#1 ·
hi again cambs england. how soon can i split a hive to enable a new colony, 3 frames in a nuc what should they contain, thanks bill

#2 ·
In my experience, better splits are taken from the fullest hives. A number I am familiar with is 12 frames of brood in the mother hive. But I am accustomed to making splits with five frames. The weather is also an important factor. We also don't have any information on the type of hive you use, so that could also be a factor.

In my experience, the best option is to keep the original queen with the new nuc/split/hive. If that is done, you will need about 2 frames of stores and three of brood, preferably mostly capped in the nuc. In your case, you'll have to scale that down, perhaps one stores, two brood, I'm not sure of your situation.

If you were to provide some more information, we could make a more informed assessment of the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.