Thread: split

Default split

hi again cambs england. how soon can i split a hive to enable a new colony, 3 frames in a nuc what should they contain, thanks bill

Default Re: split

In my experience, better splits are taken from the fullest hives. A number I am familiar with is 12 frames of brood in the mother hive. But I am accustomed to making splits with five frames. The weather is also an important factor. We also don't have any information on the type of hive you use, so that could also be a factor.

In my experience, the best option is to keep the original queen with the new nuc/split/hive. If that is done, you will need about 2 frames of stores and three of brood, preferably mostly capped in the nuc. In your case, you'll have to scale that down, perhaps one stores, two brood, I'm not sure of your situation.

If you were to provide some more information, we could make a more informed assessment of the situation.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

hi they are national hives possibly the norm around here, i has old queen the other two were split last year from her, i would like to change her this year which is poss another problem bill

Why does she need to be changed? Is she failing?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

If its your only hive i would wait until the other hive produces a queen and when you inspect later on & start seeing eggs and larvae, Thats when you go over to the hive that has the old queen and give her the hive tool test! But if its not your only hive whats the problem?