Hybrid View

Default What would you do?

The guy I am getting my packages from is going to Ca. end of the month to move his bees. He is planning on bringing my packages end of April. He offered to take a couple of my boxes and set them up there,when he goes so I get a month headstart of when i would have got the packages here. Should be like getting a couple nucs instead of packages. I did want to hive the packages since I've never done it before, but I like the idea of having comb and brood etc already started when i get them. Not sure what to tell him. Which would be the best for a new guy with no experience?

Default Re: What would you do?

Personally, I'd have him do it. It's not that it's hard to do though. When I first started, one of my two packages didn't take. If one fails, it will be obvious to him and he'll know it and can do something about it. He can't deliver bees that are not functioning as a hive and expect to get paid. Assuming everything goes well, your bees will be a month ahead of the curve. Being a new beekeeper working with nucs is not a bad thing. Nucs are normally calm and fully functioning and your queen has already been accepted. In hindsite I wish I would have started with nucs.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Experience is a good thing but you will probably have a few more chances at that.
    I'd go with the head start myself.

Go with the nucs.

I would have him do it.

Hiving packages is not a vital skill that needs to be learned first hand. Having hives ready to start work is a huge benefit.

You can always get more packages, you can't always have ready made hives show up on your door step.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

There were lots of reports here and at other forums last year about packages absconding. One more reason to go with established colonies.

I think you guys are right......A month could make a world of difference in my area. Good point about it being a functioning hive when it arrives. I'm going to have him do it.