Default Washington/Oregon Beeks! What to do, what to do?

I'm in the Columbia River Gorge, in SW Washington, it was cloudy and 55 degrees today. The bees were flying, and when I popped the top to add candy/pollen, they were mobbing both.

So in your opinion, is it too early to start 1:1 for population buildup? Am I just overeager and jumping the gun because of last years awful spring?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Washington/Oregon Beeks! What to do, what to do?

Here in south eastern Washington where we have had plenty of warm days it's not too early for spring build up. Just keep in mind the sooner you build up the sooner you need to split the hive. However if splitting is you plan the good luck. Can't have too many hives can you?

If you are looking to increase your numbers, it is not too early. When I am wanting to increase my number of hives a I usually start around March first with syrup and patties. Mostly I watch for light hives until the end of March which is when I consider winter over and count my surviving hives (all are surviving right now).

it is not to early. growth issues aside, this is prime starvation season around here. it warms enough for them to go through stores, but there is no flow yet. they bring in pollen and begin to raise brood and eat whatever honey they have left.
    any day that it's above 50, or you are feeding with an internal feeder, it's time to start.

do watch that you leave plenty of brood room. watch for the flow and keep an eye out to make sure they don't get crowded either with numbers or syrup.