Hybrid View

Default Screened bottom board?

Article in March ABJ. Managing Varroa, IPM Realities. The author really seemed to discourage screened bottom boards. I have most of my hives on screened bottom boards but even here in the south I have trouble getting the bees into the bottom box. I know there are many opinions but what do most think. Are screened bottom boards helping or hurting?

Default Re: Screened bottom board?

I'm not familiar with the article, but I can already tell that I would disagree with the author 100%. I'm not saying that a screened bottom board will solve all your Varroa problems but they have so many advantages. They improve the ventilation in your hives, they provide a way to monitor your infestation levels, they over-winter better, and they provide a 100% treatment-free reduction in mite levels. I think they are one of the most important developments in modern beekeeping and if you're not using them, you should be! Switching hive bodies during early spring should adequately resolve upward bee movement.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

This topic has already been beaten into the ground too many times. Do a thread search you'll see.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

I disagree with the article as well.......if you live in a cold climate just close the SBB when its cold.

there is no way that all of those mites falling through dosent help at least a little.....when I put in a Sticky board on hives with a high infestation there are hundreds of mites that fall in just a few days, without a SBB they would just wait on the Bottom for another bee to hitch a ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by hipbee View Post
    I disagree with the article as well.......if you live in a cold climate just close the SBB when its cold.
    It depends on what you call cold climate. Here in Ky we just are ending (I hope) a very cold and snowy winter for us. My screened bottom boards have been wide open all winter, as have the vented supers on top. I just last week went thru my 7 hives and found them stronger than I imagined they could be. You know what I didn't find? MOISTURE, NONE. One hive is Queenless I guess the vent could have killed her. Now if I was in one of the real bad winter states I might consider closing them part way during say -20 degree wind chill or below.
    MOISTURE kills bee cold doesn't. Oh and I saw no mites.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    MOISTURE kills bee cold doesn't.
    Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but I've seen this written so many times, and I have to to respectfully disagree. Put a bee in your freezer for a couple hours and then tell me if its still alive because it was just cold, not wet.

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but I've seen this written so many times, and I have to to respectfully disagree. Put a bee in your freezer for a couple hours and then tell me if its still alive because it was just cold, not wet.
    The idea is not that a single bee is freeze-proof, the idea is that a healthy cluster of bees can regulate temperature in harsh winters. A healthy cluster can not regulate moisture, and if they're getting dripped on during freezing conditions they WILL SURELY DIE!!

-I use a screened bottom board and I place tongue depressors along the rim of my inner cover to create a small gap between it and the top cover. Another trick I've adopted is to place a few pennies on the inner cover during late fall. During my first inspection of the season (late winter/early spring) I take note of whether or not the copper on the pennies has oxidized (green color). If the pennies have oxidized heavily then the moisture content of that hive was high during the winter. A monitoring technique that will only cost you a few cents!! Can't beat that...
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

I agree with the majority. I can't find a single disadvantage to the SBB. I love 'em. I'm in the south also.

No problem with screened bottom boards here in central Missouri. Love them and easy to build after you find an online source for #8 wire cloth.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

What was the authors reason for being against SBB? Was he in a northern state?