Default Hello from Manitowoc WI

This winter I purchased used equipment including the essentials in tools, clothing, a honey extractor, and 36 10 frame large hive boxes - most packed with frames. Some of the woodenware was new and unused.

This was stored in the basement for some years, and now that I have it home, the equipment still smells like basement. I don't like it, and plan to do a lye water boil and am wondering if anyone has experience with this cleaning method.

Otherwise, I am excited to bee learning a new craft, and have already devoured much information on the USDA website. Have read 2 books already: The Joys of Beekeeping and Practical Beekeeping. And, of course, have been lurking on BeeSource site for a time.

Also I have ordered 3 nucs of Carnolians from Shannon Lear who posted his offerings on this website, and am to pick up some later season Russian nucs having direct lineage from the first batch of bees brought into the country.

Well anyway, hi and thanks for the website & all the wonderful information from the participants.

Default Re: Hello from Manitowoc WI

Waves Hello from NE WI!

Welcome!

I never heard of a lye water boil, but then again I am also new last year..... Myself, I would probably air it out in the sun and also know that the bees clean up equipment and lay down a layer of propolis. Also, keep in mind that some things inside of the hives are not good for the bees, so be careful. I'm sure someone that knows will be able to speak on the lye issue. Don't some dip their equipment in beeswax?

Bee sure to check out the Bush Bee Farm website, also.

Your handle looks familiar from a fishing website.........might that be you?

I personally would not use the lye. Just air them out good in the sun. The scent that remains can't possibly be worse than the inside of a rotten hollow tree!!

Welcome, neighbor! A lot of mine smell like mouse turds, once the bees are in them it goes away fast. Not sure if you're familiar with what lye can do, be careful!

Hello from S.E. Wisconsin. Boiling frames in lye after breaking out the old comb was standard operating procedure before installing new foundation in old combs.
    Lye is now hard to find. It will make the wax turn a little soapy.

Roland

Welcome to the site - always good to have new beekeepers in the hobby, especially from Wisconsin. Lots of questions and their solutions can be found on this site. I hope your first season is a successful one.

Jesse
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional

Welcome, lye is dangerous and overkill. Bleach water and a good rinse is effective and less toxic. Airing everything in the sun should be the last part of any treatment and is pretty good on its own.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

hello from your neighbor to the south.

sevenmmm...WELCOME, from a fellow beekeeper in Lake Geneva. Manitowoc is one of our favorite WI towns with the Maritime Museum, shoreline and all. We seem to come through your town every couple of years or so.

I agree with AmericasBeekeeper and others that bleach is probably better than lye. And all you need is a capful of bleach to about a gallon of water. Make sure you air out the hive parts well.

David

The bees will clean that stuff up better than you can.

Good luck and welcome.

Thanks all. I can't wait for those first nucs!