Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Apiaries by Zip code in Google Earth?

The only people that would go near active hives or have any idea of their worth are beekeepers. I don't know about your area, but the beekeepers around here typically aren't thieves. It's too expensive of a hobby to attract low class petty crooks.
    Glad you live in Mayberry, I had 5 out of 11 hives knocked over or shot with a shotgun here and they weren't from beekeepers, found out they were bored teens. Sheriff took me to their house and introduced me to the parents and they decided to compensate me rather than face charges for the vandalism that the kids did...
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    No, it is not paranoia, it is "Good grief that hive is worth 200 bucks" or "that one has a breeder queen in it, man that is worth a lot" or "man I just set down 1k worth of bees in a few minutes, hope know one comes and steals them". Wait until you have 10 20 30 hives and they are scattered around the area. You too will see what I am saying.
    Mike
    Couldn't of said it better myself!

I'm not really paranoid about theft, but vandalism worries me. So I try to find yards that are not visible from the road and have private entrances that the land owner can view. So far I've been very lucky to find good productive yards that meet that criteria. However, it does make me drive a little farther.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUbeeKEEPER View Post
    The only people that would go near active hives or have any idea of their worth are beekeepers. I don't know about your area, but the beekeepers around here typically aren't thieves. It's too expensive of a hobby to attract low class petty crooks.
    Wait till that drunken teenager decides to live out his video game fantasy and plays "Grand Theft Auto" with his '79 Ford pickup using your hives and pallets as a slalom course .....OR someone decides you nice white boxes are the perfect size to paste a target to and sight in their new 30-06 on your box sending 30 rounds of 150grain ball ammo at 2600 fps through that double deep rendering the box to splinters....OR that "low class petty crook" who may or may not be a beekeeper decides your $10k- $20k worth of bees and equipment in that beeyard are there for the taking.....besides everyone knows "low class petty crooks" are not at all interested in expensive equipment at all.....for some of us its not a hobby its our livelihood and for those who have been around long enough we have dealt with the theives, vandals, and miscreants....no thanks to registered locations or providing my locations to GOOGLE EARTH...I will continue to hide my hives from view and always behind a locked gate.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post

Never underestimate human shortsightedness.
    Yes,I notice by your statement you are correct, and I don't need to be a smart mouth either.

Good Day
    PCM