Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apiaries by Zip code in Google Earth?

Does anyone know of a way we can all input our apiariries/apiary size into google earth, and create a database of how many hives are where?

By Zip code seems like a nice tradeoff of privacy and accuracy.

Any whiz kids have any idea how this can be done?

Default Re: Apiaries by Zip code in Google Earth?

Sure I want to get on that list right after I get on the list with what guns I own and where I keep them. It would be nice to know where other beekeepers are until the politicians and bee-haters find the list too!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

There aren't many locations shown on that map yet. When you zoom in, the location icons disappear.

"It would be nice to know where other beekeepers are until the politicians and bee-haters find the list too!"

Oh my,...it's very,.very unfortunate one would think like that about the location of apiaries. [Is this what this country has come to?] I wanted to see a map of my state with just a general location "dot" with no zip-code, address or anything like that. I have not seen one but have not really investigated it very much. There must be location maps for many other kinds of agricultural type businesses. I suppose it could be a problem in some areas with beehive thefts.

It would be useful [state- local] if one wanted to set up a bee yard far enough away from another beekeeper's yard.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 03-08-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Hive tracks (www.hivetracks.com) does it. It also keeps the list semi privite, as only other hivetracks members can see it. It's free, which happens to be my favorite price.
    I'm like the weatherman- right about half of the time.

Who wants everybody to know where your yards are? Bad idea....
    I can attempt to show you how to do it for your own personal use.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Illinois has Driftwatch. It shows farmers and bee haters where you are. Of course registering your hives with the state also gives you away.

Great! next time someone wants free honey they will know where to get it.
    Old Guy in Alabama

"Great! next time someone wants free_________they will know where to get it."

Fill in the blank. That could apply to a lot of things; like apples, melons, tomatoes, sweet corn,..Christmas trees! But they don't have "guard bees"

Yep - what we should be doing is camouflaging our hives with grease paint and gilly suits, and clear out lines of fire around them to keep good for nothin' commies from stealing our stuff. And buy gold. Little known fact - the first thing the nazis did was make a big map with the location of all apiaries - truth.

Or we could use a graphical database to help prevent outbreaks of foulbrood by notifying area beeks to be vigilant because there had been a FB deadout in the area. Nah - that's crazy talk.

What would the real purpose/need for it be ?

Somebody on the forums even wants to know how much money you spent on beekeeping last year !

NOSEY, people all I can think of !!

Get a Face Book and bleed your heart out !

PCM

And they also told us our Social Security number would never be used for identification. My card even has printed in red ink on the bottom "Not For Identification Purposes", but when my children were born 30 years ago, that statement was removed. You trust who you want, I won't.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    What would the real purpose/need for it be ?
    As mentioned before - to help prevent the spread of foulbrood would be one.

Another would be if you are raising a few queens to give you an idea of where your drones would come from - might even give a few of yours to your neighbor to help him out and insure a quality gene pool.

It would also give you an idea about how many hives would work in a spot.

You might even contact your neighboring beek just to get to know him - it's possible you might have something in common.

It took about 30 seconds to think of those, so possibly others.

Otherwise - no need or purpose whatsoever.

You know, at one time home computers, lasers, and cell phones were proclaimed to be ultimately useless. And there was no way that Google could ever make any money whatsoever. I bet there were people who when first confronted with an automobile said "Why in the world would anyone ever want one of those?"

Never underestimate human shortsightedness.

It was brought up at one of our meetings by the state inspector about crop dusting. She says it is law that if a farmer is spraying with in X distance from an apairy they have to notify the owner of the apairy that they will be spraying X hours in advance. (I do not remember what x is) But we have to give her our GPS coordinates of our apaires so she can put it on a map that is available to the public. We have some aerial crop dusting going on in our area as well that poses a risk to apaires. However, I don't feel the need to disclose my apairy location to the public so my hives can be vandialized or stolen. I just keep my hives a good distance away from agriculture fields so my hives do not get directly dusted or sprayed.

-Dan

We really do not need a map with apairy locations marked, beekeeping is and always has been local. If you want to know what is going on in the area talk to other beeks in your club. You wouldn't ask someone in the next state what bait or lure to use in the local river of pond. Ask the locals. What we need is a map that shows where the GMO seeds are planted or who is using which pesticide that is harmful to our girls. That would be beneficial to all beeks. And as for foulbrood, EVERY beek should be keeping an eye out for that and anything else wrong in the hive. We shouldn't be depending on a map.

Wow, there are a lot of paranoid beeks out there. I will watch out for these "beehaters" though.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

Truth bee known, I don't worry about a map of who is where. If I want to know who has bees in an area, I just "take a drive". I never saw bee hives until I started keeping bees, now I spot them long before I get close to them. Something about seeing them makes it easier to see them.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

I just "take a drive". I never saw bee hives until I started keeping bees, now I spot them long before I get close to them. Something about seeing them makes it easier to see them.
    Aha I take it nobody told you when you become a beek you enter the beek dimension
    Honeydew

No, it is not paranoia, it is "Good grief that hive is worth 200 bucks" or "that one has a breeder queen in it, man that is worth a lot" or "man I just set down 1k worth of bees in a few minutes, hope no one comes and steals them". Wait until you have 10 20 30 hives and they are scattered around the area. You too will see what I am saying.
    Mike
    Last edited by Kingfisher Apiaries; 03-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

The only people that would go near active hives or have any idea of their worth are beekeepers. I don't know about your area, but the beekeepers around here typically aren't thieves. It's too expensive of a hobby to attract low class petty crooks.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast