Question Anyone try the in-ground hive stand by Saul Creek Apiary?

I was looking at the in-ground hive stand on Saul Creek's webpage. Has anyone used one? Aside from being outrageously expensive, the design appears useful. I especially like the reservoir feature.

http://saulcreekapiary.com/Bee%20Hive%20Stand.htm

I am going to show the design to a welder friend of mine, to see if he could make it far cheaper. Any opinions?

Default Re: Anyone try the in-ground hive stand by Saul Creek Apiary?

Julia those look very nice. I'm sure he could make them cheaper, especially if making several at the same time or if he had enough scrap material. I play around with rebar and make some simple stands for moving around from place to place that look like these http://www.thehoneyandbeeconnection....toGallery.html Apparently they don't hold up to bear attacks. I use 2 liter bottle bottoms on the legs to keep the ants out when feeding heavily. I have about 5 bucks in each. A friend just finished a house and I will whip up a few more from some scrap rebar if I run short of cement blocks.

Good news, he has all the material he needs leftover from a job he just finished. All it's going to cost me is an extra pot of chicken and dumplings on Easter Sunday for him and his family. Can't beat that price!

I really like the looks of the rebar stands, I will definitely keep that in mind as I expand in the years to come. Bears aren't a problem in East Tennessee, the most destructive thing around here is my hound dog. I will play around with the bottle idea for ant guards, bears may not be a problem but ants sure are.

Thanks for sharing ideas!

That's great news. Be sure to post some pictures of the finished project.

Will do!