Thread: Frame Rack

Default Frame Rack

Was messing around today and decided to build a rack for my finished frames that have new foundation in them. I didn't like just having them hanging around on rope from one end of the man room to the other. I wished I had built this taller so I could have added more rows of frames I still have a floor full of shallow supers. May have to come up with a attachment for this one. Anyone else have something like this where you put your frames?

Default Re: Frame Rack

Very nice. If you want to go taller build another one just like it, & just dowel the legs together to stack them.
    Dan

Thanks for the picture and work, I think a variation of that with a cover might be just the thing for storing drawn comb outside...lots of light and air...a bit too close to the ground for mice but like I said a bit of mod work and you may be onto something there. Definitely something to muse on.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have a friend that sells supplies with a rack similar to that, but the biggest parts are 1x4 most of it is 1x1. has an open front on it for easy access to the frames...
    welcome to your new addiction!!

I'm thinking along the same lines as "nasal". I read that storing frames in racks that let the light and air at them keeps the wax moths away, although I don't know anybody doing it up here. I suppose outside is as light as it can get. Does it keep the SHB away also? Nice woodworking.

Yep, SHB like dark stale places as well.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

SHB go where there's honey and pollen. If you store them wet you'll get SHB. The only sure solution for SHB is a low yield nuclear weapon.

What? No boxes to put them in? Whenever I have built frames, I stack them up, on their sides, until I can get the boxes to put them in, the supers that is. Your goi9ng to put them in supers eventually. Why not cut down on the handling?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I build my frames in the house in my hunting room, I don't want a bunch of boxes stacked up in the floor in there. I do all my other wood work in the barn so I figured keeping the new foundation frames in the house would be a little better on the bug control then in the barn.

This did give me a idea though my bee yard is not to far from the house why not build something like this with some big rubber wheels on it and solid bottoms when collectiong honey supers put them in this rack and roll it to the house??

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What? No boxes to put them in? Whenever I have built frames, I stack them up, on their sides, until I can get the boxes to put them in, the supers that is.
    I build my boxes then I build my frames. Once full I move the loaded boxes to my equipment storage location. If I don't have boxes I don't build the frames.

Nice rack though. ...wait that sounded wrong...
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    Nice rack though. ...wait that sounded wrong...
    I agree.

But maybe you know darrel better than the rest of us.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

lol thanks guys lol

I build a second story to the rack today with shallows in mind for it here is some pictures