Default Honey bees in India also at risk of dying

US has recently seen a major collapse in honey bee colonies for which the neonicotinides are responsible.

The same is soon to happen in India if endosulfan is banned. Till now honeybees has come as a free source of pollination. Endosulfan is one of the pesticides which is softest on honey bees.

However, certain conserted activities by the EU and certain participant NGOs have been trying to ban this pesticide in order to promote other patented products.

We should stop this selfish act before millions of honey bees fall prey them.

Default Re: Honey bees in India also at risk of dying

Hi IaraD

I understand your concerns.
    Could you please post a link to the source of this information

Yeah i wouldnt mind reading the article, do you have a address link???

Quote Originally Posted by laraD View Post
    US has recently seen a major collapse in honey bee colonies for which the neonicotinides are responsible.
    Is that so. And how do you know that ccd is caused by neonicotinoids?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Is that so. And how do you know that ccd is caused by neonicotinoids?
    No it's Chemtrails that are causing the problem

Millions of people about starving in India. They can't produce enough food to feed them self a correct diet.

And we hear from tree huggers.

Sorry !!
    PCM

One of the greenest of the European Green organizations, the Pesticide Action Network (PAN) and this organizations North American affiliate (PANNA) advocate planting seeds coated with nicotine derived pesticides like Poncho which is blamed by many for CCD.
    http://www.oisat.org/downloads/field_guide_corn.pdf [see page #9]

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/reregistration/endosulfan/
    As can be seen by reading the above link, not only are the Non Government Organizations (NGO) PANNA & PAN complicit in this ban of Endosulfan, but the Government Organization (GO) known in North America as the Environmental Protection Agency is in on the fix as well.

This DDT era pesticide (Endosulfan) is already banned by the EU and is being phased out here. It seems that only three producers of this pesticide remain, Bayer CropScience (which is ending production) Makhteshim Agan of North America (which volunteered to end production) and the Government of India owned company, Hindustan Insecticides Limited. http://dictionary.sensagent.com/Hind...Limited/en-en/
    Curiously, even though Endosulfan is called the second leading cause of pesticide related human death in India (after the Bhopal accident) the Indian Government is stanch in its refusal to stop the production and use of Endosulfan, as is Australia.

Then there is this from the Protect Endosulfan Network (PEN),
    http://penintl.org/index.html
    …University of Sydney Professor in Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry, Ivan Kennedy says, "...banning it in sub-tropical and tropical climates such as Australia and India would be premature, reducing farmers' output and sending some food prices skyrocketing. Regions with temperate climates and lower insect pest pressure - such as New Zealand and northern Europe - can afford to ban endosulfan. It's irresponsible to expect those at greater risk from insects to follow suit when no suitable alternative exists."

This all sort of kind of reminds me of the Johnny Carson TV game show, ”Who Do You Trust” or as my 10th grade English Lit teach once famously said, “…’Someing’s’ rotten in the state of Denmark, and it show ain’t po old Polonius!”
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I'm confused, as ususal, if India manufactures it and isn't going to stop, and India doesn't export food to U.S. or the E.U. then what is his problem? The chinese honey that they export from India shouldn't have a problem as the chinese are banning it? now australia could have a problem because they do export but I don't hear them complaining?? yet
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I'm confused, ...
    I feel that confusion is the intent.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I wonder which species of honeybee is he talking about. They have 6 or 7. TK

Endosulfan is a generic pesticide used for more than 55 years. There were health problems related to endosulfan before 2001. Since then there have been various activities which might be co incident but clearly come to a conclusion that European Union wants to ban endosulfan as they still want to be the ones to rule the pesticide industry.

http://whybanendosulfan.org/eu-and-endosulfan.htm

The reason why i believe this because to whichever study you refer to, does not conclude endosulfan to be dangerous for use.

Morover, health problems have been reported only in one small village of India while the rest of India still continues to use it without any problems.

As far as the NGO's like PAN, PANNA are concerned..you should have a look at the European funding policy as to who funds these NGOs.

I'm confused, as ususal, if India manufactures it and isn't going to stop, and India doesn't export food to U.S. or the E.U. then what is his problem? The chinese honey that they export from India shouldn't have a problem as the chinese are banning it? now australia could have a problem because they do export but I don't hear them complaining?? yet
    I think you need to re check you facts as India is one of the top exporters of agri products which has made it even more important for India to save this product. Tea exporters in India have been facing a lot of problems due to the sudden change in MRL policy by EU.
    http://www.whybanendosulfan.org/ecos...-on-endosulfan

In case of China, it is not in support of the ban as they produce and use the product on a large scale and have also not come across any problems due to the molecule.

With Australia, the farmers have already started facing a problem due to its phase out. The APVMA also approves that endosulfan was softest of honeybees. However, it looks like they have no option other than finding an alternative.
    http://pesticidetruths.co.cc/2010/10...al-stock-land/

Most of all this seems to be a question of cui bono (who stands to gain from it)?

The answer can be found on this page: http://whybanendosulfan.org/endosulfan-alternatives.htm

... the big corporations stand to make a little fortune selling their products to Third World countries once the ban is effective.

The European Union seems to have a clear profit with the ban especially in the third world countries as the farmers there are poor and cannot afford to buy expensive patented products, hence endosulfan has been their best choice with affordable price and effectiveness on farm.

In case if Endosulfan is banned, farmers will be left with no choice but purchase the other replacements in the market which would be patents.

In my opinion, it is nothing shocking as even in the past EU has tried blue washing its image by using such strategies in the past.