Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: homeowner wants 1 pound honey per month, per hive. - fair or unreasonable?

I agree with everyone else. They are asking WAY too much. My usual deal is 10% of the harvest. I make sure they understand that this is farming and there are good years and bad years. If they don't like it and the area is a good place to put hives, then most often their neighbors will be happy to have you.

Default Re: homeowner wants 1 pound honey per month, per hive. - fair or unreasonable?

They are too greedy. In my experience it is best to stay away from these type of land owners. It will end badly for you.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

I agree with everyone else. Highway robbery.

I once had a beekeeper want 1/2 my honey for extracting it for me and he thought that was fair as well. I told him I thought that was outrageous. Turned out to be a bad year and he didnt get any honey at all.

30 to 60 lbs per year yard rent. But mostly 30 lbs or less. Often a half gallon jug or two and a cpl of bears or crystalized jars.

A can of honey per year used to be the norm here in The North Country, years ago. And a hive was worth a can of honey then too.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Agree with Ted K. We have citrus growers asking for bees and we give them a gallon of honey. If they want more after consuming that gallon I'll gladly give them more. The bees are only in the groves for 3-4 weeks. A good palmetto/gallberry location is the same yard rent, one gallon. Knock on some doors; down here most old timer landowners will be happy to let you on their property and be grateful for a years supply of honey.

Steve, tell the guy to go pound dirt!!
    Find a location very close to him and work out a deal and have the bees go do their thing.
    Last edited by Ravenseye; 03-07-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Political comment

Agree with everyone else ... forget it. Find another property owner who is more appreciative.

Curious though, how did you happen to run into this land owner?
    And the first question I would have is ... if it's such a great location, why did the last beekeeper leave?
    To everything there is a season....

Last beekeeper abandonded some of his hives after the last big hurricane.
    He is the one who set the high standard.
    I asked "what do you expect", they said "a pound of honey per hive", but when I got home and saw thier business card and thought about what was said, I asked do you mean "per year" or "per month".
    I am going to work with them, they saw this thread.

Their macadamia is blooming, (only a few trees) it is like passing thru the Maui airport. They have a few acres of tropical fruit trees, from last botanist owner, and a small starting business with it. They say the honey, is part of their visitors experience to the property.

craigslist add produced a couple good locations
    https://accounts.craigslist.org/post...78794390&db=lv

beehive location wanted, will exchange for honey - $10
    Date: 2011-01-25, 2:52AM EST
    Reply to: sale-kmcn8-2178794390@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Want location, with about 20 feet in front of hives, maybe a fence.
    Neighbors should not be in plain view.
    Looking for a spot for 2 hives, I will offer honey at least a few pounds a year in exchange.
    The hive and bees will remain my property.
    They make a good garden object, I have 4 locations now, the residents seem very cool with them .
    Some are at a house, some at a businees with fenced yard.
    Steve
    954 564 xxxx

Last edited by southeastflorida; 03-07-2011 at 05:31 AM.
    acrylic projects picture blog
    http://plasticsjournal.livejournal.com/

Tell them the other "guy" was way off. If they saw this thread, then they should be ready to re-negotiate.

Does not sound like it was their original greed, but the other guy really lowered the value of the honey crop.

I see this all the time in plumbing...we have a slang term for it.

Things like this will bring the end to the Bee Business IMHO
    Guys who keep nipping it a bit at a time
    then start paying(not giving as a Thank you)
    too keep bees on a Bloom just doesn't sound good
    I am new too bees also, BUT I won't cut/ clip anyone
    for my few hives.

Tommyt

what i would do is take your business to his neighbors house - off them 3-4 quarts a year -

he will be left with no honey and you will still get the crop that you desearve as a beekeeper -
    Doing the Right things Right
    http://thevalleysbuzz.webs.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12