Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Golden Mean Hive from Backyardhives

Do any of you have updates/photos of how your hives are doing now?

My bees are doing great! They all made it through the winter and are healthy and friendly. But I didn't get a speck of honey. I have to feed them in February. I'm disappointed in my box, but am pleased with my nice little bees. If I can afford it, I'm going to switch to a langstroth next year.

Quote Originally Posted by KatGold View Post
    I'm disappointed in my box, but am pleased with my nice little bees. If I can afford it, I'm going to switch to a langstroth next year.
    Why disappointed?

There are many Langstroth owners who have dead bees. You should be THRILLED.

outside looking in, both my original hive and my modified hive are completely full (thriving), I haven't opened them yet

per a previous post my original hive swarmed 3 times last year...the hive is too small IMO, the modified version I made looks promising

KatGold, you expecting honey to be in there after the winter? I would suspect mine would have used most of their stores up during the winter.

Also, why disappointed? going to a Lang. doesn't mean your hive will survive

2 of 2 hives dead.

I was looking on the Top Bar Site to get some information on bar width for the hive he built from looking at pictures. I have traditional Lang. hives but am impressed by the look of your hive and though that it may be interesting to try a top bar hive (if winter ever ends in Minnesota this year). I admittedly no know nothing about Top Bar design except what I have read in the last 30 minutes. Wondering if you have plans for your hive that you would be willing to share.

Great looking hive.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    Why disappointed?

There are many Langstroth owners who have dead bees. You should be THRILLED.
    Okay, good point. And I am delighted that my bees did so very well.

I was disappointed that the box was so full and has been full for a year, but I never get a drop of honey. The hive is too short. I know lang owners who got over a hundred pounds of honey.

On the upside, I know that there are gazillions of bees out there that weren't there last year.

Over the last month, I have witnessed THREE separate swarms from my hive. I don't know if there were more when I wasn't around.

Is there any reason to believe that the lang bees may have a more difficult time making it over the summer than the TBHs? I am seriously considering switching to a lang.

Any reason why I shouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by KatGold View Post
    I was disappointed that the box was so full and has been full for a year, but I never get a drop of honey. The hive is too short. I know lang owners who got over a hundred pounds of honey.
    [snip]
    Over the last month, I have witnessed THREE separate swarms from my hive. I don't know if there were more when I wasn't around.

Is there any reason to believe that the lang bees may have a more difficult time making it over the summer than the TBHs? I am seriously considering switching to a lang.

Any reason why I shouldn't?
    Well, unfortunately, nobody can answer that question directly for you, except yourself; in the end, the TBH/Lang question is a personal one, and everyone should consider it, maybe try both, and decide what they, personally, prefer. One thing I CAN say, here, though, is *PLEASE* don't base your evaluation of all TBH hives on the Golden Swarm-thrower hive! There are actually hundreds (if not thousands) of TBH designs out there, and I dare say that the Golden Mean is in the bottom half (if not quarter/tenth) for being appropriately sized.

As far as other TBH designs go, Michael Bush has TONS of useful into published at http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm that I'd recommend every new beek read through (whether you plan to use TBH or Lang hives, either way, it's a LOT of useful info there...I used it myself). Also, I myself have completed a couple TBH hives of my new (and, I believe, final) design which allows the top bars, and the combs built on them, to be 100% compatible/interchangable with a Lang deep. I've had good success with my earlier designs (I only changed the bar design by 1/4" since then, as I'd made a "compatibility error" when I built those), had several hives come through this past winter nicely, and even harvested a few pounds of honey from first-year hives last year. Right now, I'm working on a nice, clearly-written set of instructions & illustrations for constructing my current/final TBH design, if you PM me I can send you what I have finished so far, and walk you through the parts that I still need to get instructions & diagrams made for. I guess, in your situation, the one biggest reason I'd recommend giving my "standardized" TBH a try is that it's EASILY convertable into a Lang, in many ways, it really is more of a hybrid, as one of the design intents is that I can add Lang supers directly to this hive if I want to give my girls a little more honey-storage space!

Jeff Bush & others: The offer for the design/walkthrough for building my hives is available to any who want to give it a try... fair warning: building this hive DOES require a fair amount of woodworking skills, and is NOT an "easier build" than Langstroth equipment (just easier on my back to work, as there are usually no 100lb supers to lug around...and better insulated).

P.S.
    Box inside dimensions (ignoring the inward-slope of the lower side walls): 47.25"x19.125"x10" ... gives the bees about as much space as 3 10-frame Lang deeps (and that's after figuring in the lost space from sloping the side walls)
    Materials: 1 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" ply (more if you have "oopsies" when cutting), 1 8' long 2x6, and several 2x4s.
    Minimum tools: Router table (I made the earlier ones without it, but DO NOT recommend trying those methods), circular saw, drill, and either a table saw or a bandsaw (ideally, both...but I don't have a table saw set up yet myself).

Well heck yea, I would love to see your plans. I will PM you in a moment.

Thanks for the comment about my hive plan being at the bottom half (or worse) of the TBH plans. I really felt like this was the right direction for me and have been sorely disappointed. It was quite an expense to get no honey out of it, but I do keep reminding myself that a greater good (more thrown bees) was served. I'm glad to know I just made a bad choice.

I've considered getting a food grade barrel from the local homebrew shop and slicing it down the side, figuring out a way to keep it from rolling over, and moving my bars into it. I haven't figured out a landing board, but maybe just drilled holes would do. What do you think about that?

I'm pretty sure I'll try the lang. I'm sort of running out of space, but what the heck. No harm in trying. No harm in putting them beside each other either, I don't think.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123