Hybrid View

Default Golden Mean Hive from Backyardhives

Hello. I am just about finished with my Golden Mean Hive and wanted to see if anyone else has one. I have a question about how the lid fits on top. Anyone else have one?

Thanks.

Here is mine...95% done.
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...o/IMAG0216.jpg
    Last edited by Barry; 03-05-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Default Re: Golden Mean Hive from Backyardhives

Hope it is OK is insert a photo instead of a link. I am new here, please let me know if this is a no no.

Pretty!
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

SevenBravo,

The hive looks great. Yes I have a golden mean hive and it has worked well. What are your questions about the top? One thing I will say is that I had to make a new top that had a pitch to it as water collected on the roof and caused it to split. Also, you need to apply some sort of finish to the hive body or it will split as well. I used a 20:1 mixture of linseed oil and beeswax and that holds up well. Just need to touchup once a year.

Hi Trentfysty. I was thinking that pitching the roof would be a good idea too. I am making another for my brother in law and will likely do it to that one.

My question was about the roof fit. When the roof is place on top it rests on the triangle pieces in the roof corners and leave a pretty large gap between the roof and the bars. Without the braces it seems to come to an appropriate level,resting on the hive handles, but with the bars it seems pretty high. Is that how yours ended up?

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbravo View Post
    Hi Trentfysty. I was thinking that pitching the roof would be a good idea too. I am making another for my brother in law and will likely do it to that one.

My question was about the roof fit. When the roof is place on top it rests on the triangle pieces in the roof corners and leave a pretty large gap between the roof and the bars. Without the braces it seems to come to an appropriate level,resting on the hive handles, but with the bars it seems pretty high. Is that how yours ended up?

Yes, that is how mine ended up. I changed the design of the top to eliminate the triagle pieces you are talking about so that the top sat firmly on the bars. That only lasted about 4 months and then the top split and I replaced it with a pitched roof. I used a rabited joint in the corners for the roof and that eliminated the need for the triagle braces. Hope that helps.

If you have an RV shop near you, you can probably score a piece of the rubber membrane used on RV roofs and stretch that over the top for decent waterproofing.

Thanks so much for that suggestion from previously in the thread (below). I may go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by trentfysty View Post
    SevenBravo,

Also, you need to apply some sort of finish to the hive body or it will split as well. I used a 20:1 mixture of linseed oil and beeswax and that holds up well. Just need to touchup once a year.

I didn't apply any sort of finish on mine. I plan on building a custom hive this year as the golden mean hive is too short for my taste. I wouldn't doubt if the designers did it to promote swarming.