Default Reconnecting comb to a top bar

I am a new beek with two top bar hives that were hived with bees a little over a week ago. Last Friday I performed my first major inspection. Hive 2 was great by Hive1 one had quite a bit of cross combing. I had to pull it off. the comb pieces contained a good amount of pollen so I left it in the hive for the bees to clean up. They are pretty much done, now, and I don't wan them to lose the investment they have made in all that wax. I have read that you can re-attach the comb in a rough manner and the bees will then repair it and keep building it. I, however, have not had much luck in my attempts. Mostly, I just end up breaking or crushing the comb structure. Does anyone know of any techniques that could help me or have any tips to work with?

Default Re: Reconnecting comb to a top bar

i'm just starting my hive, but I like this guys Idea,I would think that the zip ties would be too thick and leave a gap that the bees will want to fill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asYwcWxWGv4

Fresh comb is very soft. My guess is you will have lots of trouble getting it back on the bars. Old brood comb isn't too bad, as it seems more like cardboard than wax. But even if you crush a bunch of the comb attaching it they can fix it after a while and it is better than chucking it.

since '09-25H-T-Z6b

again though, in a TBH wouldn't the hardware cloth leave a gap between the top bars that gets filled with propolis? Wouldn't it make it easier to break a comb off again scraping all that propolis off once you remove the hardware cloth?

Yes, but it isn't a problem. You are worrying about it too much. I have used it for exactly what you are talking about and it is much easier than anything else I've tried - especially for top bars. That's my article, my pictures, my hive.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I figured it was, I just figured if you wanted to do something like that, just drive some finish naild to one side and bend them into hooks with pliers. then you don't have to worry about the gap at all....

That might work, but the hardware cloth spreads the load over a large area of the comb. Rem they might start using the comb before they finish reattaching it. There are all kinds of things you could do of course. This is just what I have done that was simple, easy and effective, and with minimal damage to the comb. And in my case I had the material on hand.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I was thinking about using that method for cutouts, but I was going to attach the mesh to the bar in a way that it was not on the side, but on the bottom. Maybe staples would work.

I am going to try out the hair clip method because it has the easiest supplies for me to get and I believe it will fit my type of top bar the easiest. Here's hoping it works.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    That might work, but the hardware cloth spreads the load over a large area of the comb. Rem they might start using the comb before they finish reattaching it. There are all kinds of things you could do of course. This is just what I have done that was simple, easy and effective, and with minimal damage to the comb. And in my case I had the material on hand.
    David,
    I've been keeping TBH's for about 6 years now and have tried alot of way to reattach comb. The method you show is by far the best I've seen. Well done! Full support along the entire top of the comb will ensure the bees attach it both solidly and quick.
    Note to all.....give it a try. You'll be better off than using hair clips or string or tyraps.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Thanks. I thought it was a good idea - nice to hear someone else say so too.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b