Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default whats the need for an inner cover

Just a quick question. Why do we run inner covers. Is is to prop the top up for ventilation . I thought maybe a upper entrance but not all you buy have the dado . I build nucs and they dont have them. Just wondering. What yalls thoughts. Thanks and look forward to the input Peace Dave

Default Re: whats the need for an inner cover

1. The oval slot is for a bee escape, so that you do not need to use a chemical to get the bees out of the super.

2. The feed pail in fall is put over the slot(after the roof is set aside), and feed is in a position very close to the bees.

Crazy Roland

thanks for the reply Roland. On the escape I been known to brush off frames and put them in a tub. And on the pail feeders I use baggie feeders,laying them right on frames. Maybe Im answering my own question. If you prop the top open a bit will they just propolis it with no inner cover. Dont know.

I'm thinking without an inner cover you would get lots of comb built hanging down from the telescoping cover.

Without an inner cover you can't prey off the telescoping cover.

Something for beekeeping supply stores to sell and make money.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

yeah i broke a few tele tops last year ..... forgot to put on the inner covers on a few hives ...... so yeah they are needed with tele tops not so much with mig.
    Doing the Right things Right
    http://thevalleysbuzz.webs.com/

Thanks folks for all of the input. I can see that they would propolis the telescoping cover and it would be hard to get off. Im just on a budget and expanding my apiary and dont really like building inner covers. Alot of time for a little part of the hive. Thanks again for all the info Peace Dave

Migratory covers can be modified to do about anything an inner cover can do. They are also a lot cheaper to make than an inner cover and a telescoping cover. If you need the space for feed, saw new deep supers into three each 3 inch spacer rims and feed with zip locks. I live in windy country. Most fashionable colonies including commercial ones sport a large rock on top to keep covers from blowing off.

we run telescoping covers on everything (nucs, full hives, cellbuilders etc) here in FL and dont have any problems getting them off, and we dont run any inner covers....I prefer the telescoping covers over the migratory, just my opinion...good luck going into spring everyone.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I run a bunch of tele covers with no inner covers....I hate those things!

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

All I run is migratory covers without inner covers, just something more to build or buy.
    Don't forget the KISS system! Works awesome in all adventures!

I'm surprised to hear of people using telescoping covers without inner covers and not having a problem. I have only done that a few times, but every time I did I had to use a hammer to get the lid up and usually 2-4 frames came along with the lid.

I bought a case of nuc boxes many years ago from a retired beekeeper. He had never put them together. When I started building them I realized that they had telescoping covers. I made a couple and used them one year. Same thing....everytime I wanted to open the nuc 2-3 frames came with the lid.

I finally took the long sides off of the lids and used the pieces as supports across the lid like a migratory cover so I could get my hive tool under the lid.

Put your hive tool up in between the lid and the box...then pry towards you, no frames come up with the lid. I am in mine at least every other week so they never get too glued down.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

When I build my hives out of dimensional lumber I finger the entire board and cut a slot in the top (dato) for the plywood to set in. It helps me square the hive and when I am done I cut the top off at the hive depth. End result is a perfect fitting inside cover and a perfectly square hive body and zero waste. It is deep enough to use as a candy board or upside down as a standard cover. So to answer the question; candy board.

I've went to all migratory lids, to me an inner cover is just another place for shb's to hide and make more work for the workers. Jack

If you're on a budget, and are concerned with the Telescoping cover being glued down you could use a feed sack instead. I've seen youtube videos of folks in Europe using feed sacks or just plastic sheeting. A little experimenting is not likely to hurt anything.

I would be real interested if not useing an inner cover really can help control SHB? Less places to hide etc., because that seems to be the place i see them first(early in the season) and mostly later as well! Useing migratory with a special one with a slot for hive top feeders might be the way to go. Hmmmm?

I really think that no inners help with the beetle issue....do not hardly see any ever, and that is after an infested year. We will see how this year goes...

mike
    Like us on Facebook

I do, and will run inner covers for VENTILATION. I do have mig. covers with jar lid holes in them for feeding when I am feeding lightly. But really dont like using them because of the lack of ventilation. I also use inner covers cut out to feed with the 4 qt. feeder from Kelleys. That way the feeder sits right on the frames. To each his own.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast