Default Spotted - strange wild honey for sale in China (scam?)

I went for a trip in China to Yangshuo last week and spotted some strange honey when getting off the boat. There were all kinds of things for sales, very small mandarin fruit, tomatos and also wild honey. Some guys were sitting on the floor with what looked like a block of orange crystallized honey with some branches sticking out of it, some honeycomb on it and some moss. On one piece there were even some bees.
    I'd never heard of this kind of honey and had never seen it. Not paying much attention I left the harbour, expecting to find the same honey in the tourist part of town as well. Turns out, it was only being sold when tourist boats arrive on the Li river. (Yangshuo is famous for its beautiful scenery and karst mountains, very beautiful and definitely worth visiting btw!)

In the end I did not buy any wild honey and did not stay to talk to the guy selling it. So where he got it from and for what price he was selling it I would not know. A taxi driver in town told me it was a scam which I am tempted to believe, as there was no honeycomb deeper in the block.

Check the pictures and let me know what you guys think. I am interested to know if it really is wild honey, from what kind of bee etc...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Default Re: Spotted - strange wild honey for sale in China (scam?)

You are wise to have avoided whatever that orange stuff was. The Chinese are notorious for an utter disregard to safety in their food products any you would have no idea as the chemical make-up of this "honey".

It's been my understanding that their massive use of insecticides had killed off most of the insects and pollination is largely done by hand. If that is the case where did this "honey" come from?

I read somewhere that well over 1/2 the honey in all china's markets was fake or altered. they even fake the comb with petroleum wax. it is not buyer beware but more like avoid this stuff altogether. these people were adding toxic plastic chemicals to baby formula for sale in their own country.

I posted it on a Chinese beekeeping forum and they also say it is fake and synthetic. As to what the orange crystals are made of I have no answer yet.

Strange thing is that honey is very expensive in the supermarket, it costs more than back home in Holland. In Holland a 350g pot is around 4 euros, here it is often more than 5 euros. And then you don't even know if it is real honey or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete O View Post
    You are wise to have avoided whatever that orange stuff was. The Chinese are notorious for an utter disregard to safety in their food products any you would have no idea as the chemical make-up of this "honey".
    Remember the Summer Olympics in 2008 and the milk scare in China at the time? They had some kind of chemical used in plastics mixed into the milk to make it go further. Just incredible. Who cares if it is poisonous? I don't feed any of my pets anything with ingredients from China.

That "honey" could have made for an interesting chemical analysis later. Did the vendor by any chance eat any?

Great photos. Thank you for sharing.

you are likely eating more china ingredients than you know. it is my understanding that over 60% of the feed-grains for the organic livestock industry comes from china. about none for conventional livestock. aren"t we internet savy consumers clever?