Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How many have switched to Carniolan?

I haven't switched, but I am starting with Carni's this spring. Will be my first bees.
    Last edited by Buzzen; 03-06-2011 at 10:04 PM.

I lost one of my two Italian hives this winter and am switching to Carni's to see if I have better luck this year. My losses had nothing to do with the breed though as my first year loss (single hive) was due to a wet hive and this past year was due to yellow jackets.

I run Carnie and Russian Carnie hybrid.

Coming out of winter with 14 of 14 hives doing great.

I wintered all my hive 1 deep and 1 medium. So far all but 1 hive is still in the deep box laying brood. The 1 hive that is in the medium had 6 frames left and were raising brood in the upper medium.

I do have 3 italian hives that I did emergency feeding on however of the 3 only 1 was really in the need for feeding. 1 of the italian mutt hive runs 2 deeps and 2 medim due to the pure number of bees. This hive is the meanest hive I have but I could easily run 3 deeps in the spring/summer and fall. They out produce any other hive I have but once in the hive they will come out a good 50 ft and attack someone. My father said it look like I was standing in the middle of a dust cloud/storm, due to the number of bees..then he had to run (he was about 50 ft from me). They chased him to the truck, lol.

I plan to replace the italians with buckfast this season, however I am going to breed the big italian hives queen to see if I can keep the production and limit the over defensiveness.

I switched over to Carni's years ago. Well not to make it sounds like 40 years ago. However its been 5 years now. They seem to work just fine for me. As pointed out the Italians dont know enough to shut down. So you end up feeding them like crazy where the carnis shut down nicely and I dont have to worry about feeding them all winter long.

Has anyone found commercial packages for carnis? I have not, but I am selling a few NUCs and singles along with some queens for those in the local area that want to switch over. I have also spoke with some folks that are buying italian packages and buying queens from me so they can get their carni colony going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12