Default Colorful Beeswax candles by adding tinted sheets of foundation to wax

Colorful Beeswax candles by adding tinted sheets of foundation to wax

I was making candles using the Carved Easter Egg mold and wanted nice colors besides yellow or ivory....
    So, I melted an approx. 1# brick of the white wax from Betterbee in my 4-cup pyrex glass measuring cup. Double boiler method. I used the white because I wanted to color the wax and wanted it to be somewhat true (although lighter). (1 pound of beeswax is approx. 2 cups)

The melted brick measured 2-1/3 cups. Then I took 2 foundation sheets (the thicker old California ones) and put those in the pyrex container in pieces. I ended up with 3-1/3 cups of tinted, melted beeswax which should make 3 of those Easter egg candles. Another sheet could be added depending on how dark you want it to be. Darker sheets work better in tinting the wax or use more of the lighter colors. Yellow wax will probably take the color differently.

Different colors can also be achieved by mixing a little. I have never used the candle color chips. Chips don't add much to the melted wax volume, but the foundation sheets do........ so cost is not as pricy as you might think. There is an increased color section when using tinted foundation sheets.

Note: The sheets I used were the old California sheets from Betterbee which were thicker than the Dadant ones they also offered. Bought them in 2007 and they were $1.29 per sheet and shipping was 18 cents per sheet. (Adjust for today's prices) Two sheets are about one cup of melted wax. Unfortunately, now the colors that Betterbee has of the foundation are limited. Dadant and Mann Lake have more of a selection.
    The sheets from Dadant are thinner and according to their catalog, there are 8 sheets per pound or about 4 sheets per cup. Still doable.

~ Bee Bliss

Default Re: Colorful Beeswax candles by adding tinted sheets of foundation to wax

I unmolded the burgundy Easter egg candle today. The candle looks to be the same color as the foundation sheets (comparing side to side). I used 2 sheets of burgundy foundation in with the pound of white wax.