Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What constitutes mean?

I think you have recieved some good advice here reference your question...my advice is wait to "pass sentence" on this queen...its still very early in the spring here in the south...up until the orange blossom started 2 weeks ago...most of ours were "testy"....Im pretty certain they will calm down as warmer weather and more forage arrives. I usually plan for the hives to be a little "testy" in the fall as pepper tree flow ends (last flow before winter dearth) and in the spring before orange blossom starts...they have stores to defend.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Trust me, there is a time and place for gloves, there is always a pair in my left hand bee suit pocket. They are there for a quick draw! This week the bees have just been ticked, rainy, been in them way to much (esspecially breeders, finisher, and hives that get starters shook from them ). Most of the time aggression from them is subjective.....

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Whenever I need a chuckle, or think I'm taking myself too seriously, I take a look at this. I just love these guys... don't have a clue who they are, wouldn't want my daughters to marry one, but... you gotta admit, they're not afraid of showing their "manliness" ... er, or is it... ah... well, here you go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaVq3NJJYLY
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

It seems to me that if when you take a step back from the hive they leave you alone, they are not mean but very defensive. Mean is when they attack and then follow you for 100 yards. Defensive is when you've got your hands into their home. My bees are pretty calm but act up the closer I get to the brood and Her Majesty.

I will have to say that I got a mean hive ,and there is no dought that they produce more honey than my others.whether it be by robbing or what ever. I have also noticed that they are more aggressive toward shb than my other hives which is a good thing. I also keep a pair of gloves around just in case, because there temperament can change anytime..

Dan

Know a woman who manages her bees in a t shirt and shorts. Complained to me last fall about getting stung 50 times in one day? What? Really? I have been stung exactly 10 times in my life, by honey bees. No reactions, just no fun! I wear them gloves and all because it works for me....and thet dont get in the way when im running away from them either!!!! LOL!!!!

Last time I was stung nearly 50 times was last July when I moved 12 hives after dark. Had on gloves, veil, and those little darlings still flew and crawled and nailed us time and time again...
    Absolutely no fun. But to work them in shorts and t shirt? LOLOL no thanks.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Well I went out to the hives today. I smoked them like suggested and it was a world of difference with my testy hives. I smoked the entrance rather heavily and let them sit while I worked my gentle hive. I went back to the other and smoked the entrance again. Took the top and and gave some puffs. and I was in them with confidence and less testy bees. That made it much more fun and a lot more enjoyable. Sure I took two stings to the hand but they were no where near as testy as they have been! Thanks!

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

They seem rough handling those frames and boxes in that video. Is that normal? I go a lot slower and try not to squish any bees.

Normal? Well they seem OK with it.

Certainly not how I would handle bees though!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

2years ago I had the gentlest hive on a watermelon patch.I was gonna pull honey,but the migrant workers were picking the last of the melons so I waited till the next week-end.Came back&to my dismay the workers had cut the foundation out of my frames harvesting my honey for me.[no thank-you either]last year I put a hive from an extraction which had been in a house for 30+years&were MEAN[40-50come 'greet' you at 30yds out]....got a LOT of honey that year&all of it too...the top was a little crooked on 1 hive,but that was it...farmer told me a couple workers were stung&when I told him about the year beforewhile we were standing by the edge of the field not being bothered we concluded they tried it again...sometimes a 'protective' hive is better than a gentle hive&more profitable too

I have a hive that I just hate having to get into. It is my strongest hive but those bees are MEAN! I must duck tape the bottom of my jump suit around the boots, and cover the connection where the two zippers on the front of the hood attaches. I smoke them before I enter the hive it seems to make them mad. When I open the top, I have a few that take aim at my head. When I touch a frame, the fun really starts. Bees everywhere! I park about 20 yards from the hive and they follow me to the truck. To keep from getting stung after I am finished working the hive I must get in the truck all suited up and drive up the road for a piece then get out and remove the gloves and veil. Oh yeah, they gonna get a brand new mama real soon!

What consitutes mean......In your face hitting your veil with a comet type wad flying around you as you move. Bees Landing and trying to find any hole in the bee suit or gloves you are wearing. And you walk around hoping the duck tape you have tape your ankles holds. This is what constitutes mean bees that need gasoline poured on them. I have been in a few situations like that in the past. TK