Default brood box's /supers/ deeps

I've noticed alot of beekeepers on the forum calling the box that houses the brood a "super"

I was wondering if this is an American thing or.....?

In NZ we tend to reserve the word super for the honey box with the brood box's being called brood box or deeps or mediums.

I find it quite confusing because I dont know if people are talking about brood boxs or honey supers.

frazz

Default Re: brood box's /supers/ deeps

I refer to the "Brood chamber(s) as the hive or hive body and any box above the hive that is for honey collection as a super, normally only give box size if asked or if its thread related. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
    In NZ we tend to reserve the word super for the honey box with the brood box's being called brood box...
    frazz
    That's usually the standard language in the US also. Sometimes you will see the wording used differently, but if you read between the lines you can usually figure out what they are referring to.
    To everything there is a season....

My hives are composed of all 8-frame medium depth supers. Unless I strategically install queen excluders all supers/boxes can contain any and various combinations of brood/pollen/honey, so what's really to differentiate them?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Super is common usage regardless of position and contents. It is normally specified if appropriate- brood super, honey super. Body and box are more like farmer slang around here. I try not to laugh when they expound on their other bee talents.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

"brood super and honey super"
    Thats where it's confusing for the likes of me where a super is entirely for honey collection not for brood.

I would get looked at sideways If I said brood super around here
    it's broodbox and honey super or just plain super.

There was a post a few days ago a guy wondering why he had heaps of drone brood in his super the answer to that question really depends on what you call a super.
    For me my answer to him would be he has drone brood in his super because honey supers are often made up with drone foundation so if you aren't using an excluder the queen can get up there and lay out the drone comb.

However if his "super" is a brood box and he has 2 boxs full of drone brood then he has a problem !

I guess it's just a case of asking the individual poster if they are talking brood "supers" or honey "supers"

All mine are supers, until I staple a bottom board on them, then they're brood boxes/hive bodies/chambers, etc, etc, etc. Who cares? Bees live in them. Good gosh! Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    All mine are supers, until I staple a bottom board on them, then they're brood boxes/hive bodies/chambers, etc, etc, etc. Who cares? Bees live in them. Good gosh! Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with an axe.