Hybrid View

Default Bumblebee nest material

I know there are several comments in existing threads but I thought maybe get a thread dedicated to just this topic???

That being said, what is the best material to use in my BB house?

I read that surgical cotton is too fine and they become entangled. What about synthetic pillow floss? It is similar, if not the same, as aquarium floss.

I have 8 dogs so I plan to use a lot of the downy fur from them (Siberian Huskies). I think that would be nice. The birds and the mice seem to love it!

Any other suggestions?

Will

Default Re: Bumblebee nest material

Last year I removed 2 colonies of bumbles from under different houses, they were nested up nice and snug in fiberglass insulation.

the tight yellow stuff of the fluffy pink kind? Is that bad for them? I know they are nesting in it but maybe they don't know the risks

I thought about that as I have some lying around.

I also have some bailing twine on hand. I've cut it into 4" lengths and pulled the strands apart. Mixed that with some Husky hair and placed it in the living area of the house.

How much stuffing should I put in there? Do you want it packed full or just an inch or two on the bottom as a layer?

Last edited by Renthorin; 03-01-2011 at 03:02 PM.

I was in pink the other was in yellow. I dont know if its bad for them or not but they seemed pretty happy in it untill I started messing with them!

Hey Phil...funny you should mention pink insulation. My second (different brand) bee house just arrived and it is already loaded with wood shavings and pink insulation bits

Upholstery cotton is an ideal nesting material. I use it in all my bumbus homes.