Thread: Possible CCD?

Default Possible CCD?

About 3 weeks ago we had about a week of warmer than usual weather for this time of year in Southeastern PA. The bees we active as expected so I quickly made a batch of sugar water figuring they would be running low on food. Later in the week the cold temps came back so I removed the water and thought every little bit helps. Warmer weather has returned, so i went to put the sugar water back and one of my hives is dead. They are there but dead. Looking closer there is still capped honey and nothing else seems unusual. Could this be CCD and couild this happen in a matter of two weeks? One other question? What do i do with the hive in the mean time and existing honey? I have a package on order coming first week of May (9 weeks away).

Thanks
    Mike

Default Re: Possible CCD?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickole View Post
    one of my hives is dead.
    How many bees were there? Small colonies are very prone to isolation starvation in cold weather even with stores just an inch or two away.

It was normal when i first started to feed. There seems to be much less in there now.

I don't know whether feeding sugar syrup contributed to this. I have been told not to feed sugar syrup until weather improves as in cold weather that will contribute to increased humidily in the hive.

I was also think it could be moisture due to feeding, I fed however I run open screen bottom board with 3 entrances in my hives. I dont know if that made a difference or not however I conducted feeding openly outside the hives.

With CCD the bees are pretty much all disappeared. You said your bees are there in the the hive but dead. =Not CCD.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

The next question is what do i do with the hive till I receive my new package in early May? There is existing honey.

Clean the dead bees out as best you can, protect the hive from wax moth, seal it up, and wait. It will be fine.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow