Default Lost a Split Due to heat

I attempted to do a split Wed evening as it was getting dark. Moved 4 frames of resources from main hive to 5 frame NUC. Left for a little over 2 hours to let them be queenless. Put in bought queen still in cage about 8pm and went to bed. Thurs. morn it appeared to have about a dozen bees doing orientating flights. Left for work. Stopped by the house at lunch no activity at entrance. 6pm noticed Nuc covered in ants. Went and filled ant traps with oil and dusted nuc. Did not see or hear any activity. I just had to peek. ALL the frames MELTED OUT and collapsed in the bottom. All bees dead brood frames broken. I dug the queen cage out from all the wax, brood and honey and she was stlll alive and one attendant made it. I gave her to a local beek because I did not want her to die and I did not have enough resources to try again. I am using all medium equipment. The nuc has a solid bottom board and a migratory cover I am guessing with the 100F temps and in full sun it was too much? My hive is not having that problem but it has a SBB and Top Entrance. They are not even bearding a lot. What are your thoughts. I am just sick that I did this. What should I do different next time?

Thanks

Default Re: Lost a Split Due to heat

Cut out the bottom board on the nuc and screen it with #8 screen. Must not have been enough bees to ventilate the hive

Medium 5 frame nuc? Those are awful small.

Probably not enough ventilation.

They might have become trapped when the comb collapsed. Usually they would beard outside when it gets too hot?

You almost gotta put the nuc in the shade, especially a five framer. You have to think of it this way, 10 people in an 11 person shed, the body heat alone will raise the temperature in the shed without external temps having an effect, then add 100 degrees........you now have a sauna!! Take out 5 people and you have more dead space and less body heat, still quite warm, but probably doable. Don't worry, ive cooked bees before and had to learn this lesson as well!!

All my "summer nucs" are 4-5 framers in 10 frame deeps and 2 framers in 5 frame deeps. I know 10 frames of bees can take care of a 10 frame deep but you also have to consider a larger work force bringing in water and fanning everywhere in the hive. A couple weeks ago we had a 108 degree day here in CA, I wondered how many hives I would find dead but much to my surprise, not one, from the 2 frames of bees in a 5 frame mating nuc to full two deep hives, all in direct sunlight.
    Coyote Creek Bees

LIke others have said probably not enough ventilation in full sun. Im guessing alot of the bees drifted back to the original hive. Did you move the split or keep at the original site