Default MiteAway II application question

I would like to treat some of my hives with MiteAway II. I have a bucket of 10 pads which is enough to do all the hives I need to treat. My question is weather or not any other beeks have treated colonies smaller than the recommended 5-6 frames per colony? I have a few hives with fewer than this number of bees but would still like to treat them with this product.
    Thanks
    Howard
    Hampstead, NC

Default Re: MiteAway II application question

I treated all my colonies in the fall a year ago. No problems with colony size/strength and I basically disregarded the differences. Temps were well under the 80-degree limit and I left them on for about 30 days (weather, snow and rain/ice were problematic!).

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

One person at our bee club cuts the pad in half for smaller colonies such as nucs. not the instruction sheet way to do it but it works, just don't forget your chem. gloves and face protection
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    One person at our bee club cuts the pad in half for smaller colonies such as nucs. not the instruction sheet way to do it but it works, just don't forget your chem. gloves and face protection
    Challenger...Honeydew is right on the gloves and face protection. And avoid the fumes too. One good whiff of MiteAway might just put you right on your butt. Strong stuff.

David

I wouldn't cut the mite away II pads in half. That will mess up the timed release by exposing too much surface area on the pad.

I wish there was an alternative for treating nucs. I went into winter with sixteen nucs.

Two of the 16 were six or seven frames of bee's and were treated with Mite away II. The other 14 were not treated. As of mid January the two treated were still doing well. Of the other 14 untreated only 1 was still alive. There may be other factors as the two that were treated were moved into ten frame equipment but, I feel formic treatment or not was the big factor. The fourteen that were not treated were in five frame nucs(4-5 frames bee's). All had sister queens from the same graft and queen mother.