Default Feeding Stimulant Formulation

Anybody make their own.Mann lake has pro health it has lemongrass and spearmint in it.
    Where do you get these oils and the ratios that would be used?
    Thanks

Default Re: Feeding Stimulant Formulation

This is similar to H-B-H

Do a Google for recipe.

Try E-Bay for oils.

PCM

Does anyone actually have bees that won't eat without feeding stimulants? I've never used them and my bees eat pollen substitute and sugar syrup just fine as long as there isn't a strong flow happening concurrently.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by akb View Post
    ... Where do you get these oils...
    "Health" food stores are a good place to start shopping for EOs. The more the store harkens back to the 1965-1968 Haight-Ashbury district in San Francisco the more likely the store will have the EOs you mentioned.

While you're at it check out their stimulating selection of black teas. I prefer Formosa lapsang souchong tea myself. Sip it hot while you hold a sugar cube between your teeth or with a spoon full of honey in your mouth. Bon.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

www.wfmed.com They have free shipping on many oils. Scroll down and check on the left side of their web page.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Does anyone actually have bees that won't eat without feeding stimulants? ...
    No, but I do like to add a little lemon juice and some VetX vitamins with minerals and electrolytes to the syrup to raise the ash content. Please don't ask me if it elevates my bees blood pressure. I can't find a blood pressure cuff small enough to take a bees' blood pressure.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    some VetX vitamins with minerals and electrolytes to the syrup to raise the ash content.
    Please provide more information of this. What is VetX vitamin? Where to get it? How much to add (per gallon). Thanks.

www.wfmed.com They have free shipping on many oils. Scroll down and check on the left side of their web page.
    Okay the prices are great at wfmed, but I just called the contact number and I don't know if I would trust the guy on the grade of the oils answered the phone like I was his mom and I had to ask if I called the correct number.

He said lemongrass is aroma therapy grade so only use it for swarm attractant never as a feed.

Claimed wintergreen was medical grade I don't know of a medical grade.

Said his spearmint was food grade.

The prices are lower than the wholesale prices I pay at https://www.lorannoils.com/

But I know lorann are all food grade they tell you on their site and seperate food grade oils from aroma therapy oils and price them differently.

Now this is the first year I have tried the supplements.
    I started with one fatbeeman told on the podcast
    Now I found more luck with more lemongrass oil than he said he used.
    Latter he told me he added 16 oz of dry megga bee to 55 gallons of sugar water along with his oils.
    I tried that yesterday seemed to work well but they might have taken anything just as well we were having a weather front move in so they were motivated.

medical grade only means that is as pure as it gets, I have medical grade wintergreen oil that I use..Just search this site for H-B-H or HBH etc. etc. you'll find plenty
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    Please provide more information of this. What is VetX vitamin? Where to get it? How much to add (per gallon). Thanks.
    The brand name is Vi-tal. VetX is an older and different company.

Vi-tal is "A Water Vitamin, Electrolyte, and Mineral Supplement."

It is used to provide supplemental vitamins, electrolytes, and trace minerals to aid in growth, productivity, and to stimulate water consumption and maintain the balance of body fluids in livestock and poultry.

http://www.kentuckyvetsupply.com/vit...051e45fca2f7ca

At high concentrations, use a 6 oz. package in 128 gallons of water.
    At medium concentrations, use 6 oz. per 256 gallons of H2O.
    At low concentrations Use a 6 oz package per every 384 gallons of water.

Vi-tal is about half salt, (Sodium Chloride). In late winter and early spring, bees work animal feed dust in place of pollen. Salt is a major additive in dairy, beef, and horse feed.

Add Vi-tal after the syrup has been heated and mixed and as it is cooling down to protect the vitamins as much as possible from the effects of heat.

I use anywhere from 1/4 to 1 teaspoon of Vi-tal per gallon of syrup. I use the lemon juice for its vitamin C.