Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

maples

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tsmullins 
#1 ·
We have a very large maple in our yard. I am not positive on the exact species, but it is an early bloomer. Was walking out in the yard today, and could hear the bees working the maple. Upon closer inspection, you could see hundreds of honey bees working the tree.

Shane

#9 ·
We have sugar maples in our yard. The seeds on a sugar are paired making a "U" shape whereas seeds from a silver maple are paired and wider spread making a "V" shape. The seeds of the sugar are smaller. Their sap is much sweeter than that of a silver. You can tap silvers, but you need much more sap to make maple syrup.

Also, during late fall or winter, tap your finger on the end of the bud of the maple. Is it pointy or sharp.........a sugar maple! Is it blunt or rounded, then not a sugar maple.

#10 ·
If it is blooming already it is most likely a Red Maple. That is all we have in the South. BUT, it is one of the most important trees that build up the early packages and early queens most people get around the country. The maples here in North East Florida have already bloomed out and the bees that survieved winter are well on their way to a good spring! Our Maples start blooming as early as mid December.

#12 ·
We have two of the red maples. One is a huge mature tree. The other is maybe four or five years old. 99% of the bees where on the mature tree. The smaller tree is blooming strong. We actually have another sapling that should bloom in a year or two.

Until I saw all the bees, and read your post, I did not realize how important the red maple was.

Shane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.