Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CDL

Default CDL

I'll never understand how a CDL is a head ache. Its just a few questions and little driving test. The whole process takes less than a day.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Default Re: 2000 Frieghtliner FL-80 (my first born)

How about:
    Trip Reports/IFTA(fuel tax) filings
    DOT #
    DOT inspections
    Having to develop/maintain a "safety program" for youself
    Hours Of Service - Driver's logs
    Being limited to only driving a few hours total in a day if you've spent the first 8 hours doing "non-driving" work.

etc.
    And lets not forget that if you hold a CDL license and get a speeding ticket (even in your car), there is almost nowhere in the country you can get that ticket "fixed" or amended.

There is a lot more to getting/having a CDL license than just passing the test.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-27-2011 at 07:52 AM.

The best thing to do is look for ways to operate through exemption and exception in the vehicle code and FMVSS ie, vehicle length, weight, license, hrs of service, etc.

actually rlsvi you have to do all that (besides the IFTA) on any commercial vehicle which means any thing over 10,000 Gross vehicle weight rating.

Not in California. I have a 15000 gvw and a 19000 gvw and don't have to do anything more than I do for a 10000 gvw.
    I just downgraded my license from a B to a C, but still have one 10200 gvw bobcat trailer that requires an A, which is ridiculous. I hear it is a $1000 fine if we get caught.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-27-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Yep, Frank is correct...a perfect example of what I have mentioned.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-27-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlsiv View Post
    How about:
    Trip Reports/IFTA(fuel tax) filings
    DOT #
    DOT inspections
    Having to develop/maintain a "safety program" for youself
    Hours Of Service - Driver's logs
    Being limited to only driving a few hours total in a day if you've spent the first 8 hours doing "non-driving" work.
    Who tells you this stuff? I own several trucks and drive one OTR. Plus I manage 5 others. We like to call Log books Comic books. Wait until the end of the day. If you've been driving somewhere far start filing it out and then finish it so it looks good. But that only applies if your operating outside your 150 mile radius. Buy this...read It:

http://www.jjkeller.com/webapp/wcs/s...-1_10551_59244
    Last edited by Barry; 02-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Dbest - I take it you disagree with part or all of the items in my post? Which ones in particular? To answer your question: I've spent most of the last 20yrs in the transportation industry. In my post, I'm assuming the OP is traveling (at least occassionally) outside a 'local' operating radius - based one the mileage he has put on during his term of ownership. As for 'comic books', just because that is the way you run your operation doesn't mean it is the right (in the strictly legal sense) way to do it, according to the DOT. Granted, I usually deal with larger carrier operations, and the 'little guys' generally draw less attention - but the same rules apply. If you're running across state lines, you have an IFTA obligation - period. If you spend 6-8hours in the morning doing non-driving work (typically warehouse or loading work), your HOS available are reduced by that same amount of time. How about hazmat? In Very small quantities, you're certainly exemp.... But go buy a couple of bulk barrels of chemicals used to treat hives and now you're a hazmat carrier for the day, including the need for proper placarding, etc. Plenty of people can and do get away with minor 'comic book' violations, and some get away with more serious infractions..... But that doesn't make it the 'right' way.

Do me a favor...Read that book...oh and bees are not Hazmat. As for what I disagree with...I'd have to say its your lack of a connection to reality.

Default Re: CDL

he didn't say nothing about bees being hazmat he said "But go buy a couple of bulk barrels of chemicals used to treat hives and now you're a hazmat carrier for the day,"

I think IFTA only applies to over 26000 GVWR. I don't think you need a DOT number either unless you cross state lines or go over 150 mi.

You might want to check on DOT and IFTA regs from the feds. I believe anything and everything registered over 10K needs DOT.

IRP & IFTA (Apportioned Plates & Fuel License)
    IRP -International Registration Plan is the registration required for vehicles over 26,000 pounds that cross state lines. Also known as Apportioned Plates and Prorate Account. IFTA is the fuel tax decals and license for the same vehicles.
    : $298.00
    Detailed Description
    What is IRP and IFTA?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) and International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) are cooperative programs to collect and distribute registration and fuel tax revenue between member states and Canadian provinces. The programs benefit carriers by consolidating licensing and reporting requirements through the base (home) state.

Who is required to have IRP and IFTA?

An IRP and IFTA account is required for companies that have vehicles crossing state lines that are over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or have 3 or more axles on the power unit.

http://interstateauthority.com/irp.aspx

As far as this stuff goes I couldn't get the same answer twice when asking Highway patrol, commercial DMV, NDOT, etc.
    I'm still not clear but expect it will be explained by the next cop that gives me a ticket.

Im not sure about the IFTA. I thought IFTA only applied to those over 33K. However I was told by NYS DOT Officer that if my truck is registered over 10K I need a DOT number.

Doesn't most, if not all of this stuff only apply to 'for hire' vehicles, and/or if the vehicle is being operated by a paid driver?

If you are the owner, moving your own equipment, not hiring out or paying a driver, it used to be that you only had to follow the safety and weight restrictions. Of course, I have not been in a truck for many years, and know that things do change.

No Daniel, if a vehicle registered Commercial or Agricultural is of 10,000 lbs GVW the vehicle has to have a State or US DOT Number visiblly displayed on both sides of the vehicle of suffiecient size to be seen by Troopers. One is also required to have a Name (your personal name or company name) on the side of the vehicle too.

If you want to get more than one answer from DOT, ask any number of different DOT Officers and/or State Troopers.

If you are ticketed, ask the Officer for the Regulation Code Number. Politely, not defensively, of course. They are supposed to show it to you, if you ask for it.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Hmm, OK, then some things may have changed since I had my trucks. My name was on the sides of them, with 'not for hire' displayed. Moving my own equipment around the country I never had an issue. In fact, a class a or CDL license was not even required.

Now, in fact, I have a friend who owns a Freightliner Conventional tractor. He lives in Arizona. We worked together in Alaska. He has no CDL license but moves equipment to and from Alaska nearly every year, but only for himself, as the owner of the truck and the owner of the equipment. That means that he crosses multiple states, and a foreign country, up and back. He has no CDL license, no fuel stickers, doesn't keep a log book of any kind, and to my knowledge has never been ticketed for other than speeding.

If everything that is being said here is cut in stone, I am wondering if there is an aspect to the issue that most are not aware of.

More likely lucky would be my guess, on your friend.

If I drive my F-450 (16,000lb GVW) and trailer (9,900 lb GVW) from NY to SC and get stopped for a DOT check in each State, each State will treat me differently. Because the Officers aren't aware of what is allowed in each of the other States.

Such as, when going thru a Scale House in NC, the Officer wanted to ticket me for being overweight on my truck because the truck & trailer combined weighed over 16,000 lbs. I asked him to check w/ his Supervisor and that straightened that out. And down the road I went.

Education is expensive. Learning what is required, one ticket at a time, may be the way to go. That's how I got the number and then the name on the side of my truck.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I really am not trying to, or wanting to argue. Your experience is what it is. I really was just trying to see if things really have changed as much as what some of you are saying. It also 'used' to be that if you were legal in your home state, you were legal anywhere else in the country. From what you are saying, that may or may not still be the case. The supervisor letting you go makes me think so, but you may have just gotten "lucky" that day.

It is just curious to me that there may still be alternatives or options that can be used to avoid the added expense of a commercial designation, which really should not be 'always' necessary. If you are a large enough operation to need drivers, are moving bees or equipment for others, or a hauling back to defray costs then you have no choice but a commercial designation. Otherwise, there may be another way to get it done without.

No, Gary is not lucky :-) He is just a get it done guy. If it doesn't work one way, he will do it another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast