Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Topics for Beesource Reference Section

Uses of beeswax

I know that when I harvest (if i have a surplus) I will use crush and strain and will probably have lots of leftover beeswax. What could I use it for?

Ryan, there is a good market for your bees wax. I just saw a blurb on TV about them making a "dust" out of bees wax to neutralize oil spills. using space-age technology. It soaks up the oil, then the goop becomes totally bio-degradible. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO CLEAN IT UP ! When it gets wet natural microbes will totally degrade it ( both oil and wax ). They probably used it on the gulf oil spill last summer. Thea would take many TONS of wax !
    Raymond

I find myself looking at dcoates plywoos nuc plans thread.
    I would be interested in a list of any public presentations delivered or found worthwhile. Much better than reinventing the wheel.
    Lastly, frame jig plans, if not listed elsewhere, is extremely useful.

thanks.

Queen rearing and nucs
    how to install foundation

As a new member and a new BK, it would be helpful to have a beginner section. In this section, there could be individual sections to address the questions on Washboarding, yellow jacket, feeding, treatments, types of bees, pros and cons of queen excluders, time of day to inspect a hive, what to do during long periods of rain, preparing for winter, etc.

Sorry folks i have not really worked on this. I need help. Volunteers needed!
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Jack G. - Thank you for the link to Sue Cobey's article on the Cloake board queen rearing method! That helps!

Also - for a reference section, wouldn't we be listing references, not topics? I'd love to see more book lists, dissertations published at Cornell University, Univ. of California at Davis, etc. , publications of the National Bee Laboratory and various state bee inspection agencies, Apimondia papers, an archive of American Bee Journal and Gleanings in Bee Culture magazine articles, English beekeeping certification test preps,...an on-line reference section or even a full-blown beekeepers' library.

It would be nice if this were accessible from entering the site as is the build-it-yourself section.

If a reference section were created, one topic that I am always interested in is overwintering nucs. Michael Palmer has posted some great information in the past about his methods.

Like I said volunteers needed! Since i originally posted this I have been swamped. If you are snowed in and need something to do please PM me. Its a good idea if we can just get it done.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

This is a common misreading of checkerboarding as described by walt wrigt....ome that will in most cases will cause real problems. I eould put this.as on of the most misunderstood concepts.in beekeeping.
    Checkerboarding is.done above the brood nest, not in it. Following the advice you give is likely to spread the bees out too much in the hive...brood will likely be chilled.
    Deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Eek-a-beek View Post
    Checker boarding is a method of swarm control. Imagine that you have a hive in a single deep and the colony is expanding and getting crowded in that box. You need to do something or they will swarm. One thing you can do is give them a new box and hope for the best. Another idea is that when you do so you can remove half the frames from each box and then alternate the new with the old in both boxes. If you had glass ends on the boxes and the new frames were fresh white wood, perhaps with just foundation, and the old frames were dark aged wood then the hive from the end would look somewhat like the first two rows on a checker board.

Much like blooms it would be nice to see drone activity. I know I'm on my own here in wy but I can extrapolate given zone, temp.

Jack G - Thanks also for Mel Disselkoen's article. After reading what he came up with 20+ years ago, I'm feeling much more innovative. Some of this beats Alley's Cut Cell Method and when you combine it with Cloake's board, queen rearing is getting very easy! He's correct about Farrar's Law. Fortunately, I read this in time to try this year.

I'd like to see something about uses of prooplis

Dixie1 - check out apiperry@wholepropolis.com

Cleo Hogan's Trap out box design and method.

I'd REALLY like to see product reviews for equipment, also equipment suppliers, package suppliers, customer services issues, quality concerns... etc. It would be extremely beneficial for newbies like myself. I stumbled into a few wrong purchases which in hindsight I wish I could of avoided.

Also hive ventilation, there seems to be so many varying viewpoints sprinkled through out the forum in various posts. Also a lot of opposing viewpoints in beekeeping books.

Love to see more reference info on small scale queen rearing. Thanks

Did a reference section actually ever happen??

Come on guys. Mike can't do it for you. Ever try Google?

How about the taxpayer funded Robo Bee projexct at Harvard:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bLTiYkYyVc

Or RNAi(nterference) This opens up a whole new field of disease control.
    http://www.nature.com/nrg/multimedia...ion/index.html

Or a(5yr old) TED talk by Dr.Dennis VanE,still an inspiration.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXlvP4kLHg

Jack - Thank you for the links! I really enjoyed Dennis vanEnglesdorp's talk, and the RNAi slideshow.

Barry - I'd like to expand on my post #27 - it would be cool if we could get public domain permission for the magazine articles from ABJ, GBC, Bee Culture, and the academic papers of the universities. I understand that would probably not be easy to obtain...but it would be worth looking into. It would seem that the universities would be a little bit easier to work with, but who knows?

A book review section would save a lot of people a lot of headaches (and heartaches) with their bees. Reading is a shortcut to beekeeping success. Beesource is a fantastic addition to the bee literature!
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 03-18-2013 at 11:29 PM.