Default CCD: Risk prfile of neonicotinod Pesticides like Clothianidin and Imidacloprid

Dear fellow beekeepers,

on Frebruary 16, 2011, the dutch toxicologist Dr. Henk Tennekes gave a lecture at the Institute of Public Health, University of Heidelberg (Germany). This lecture is about "Toxicity as function of exposure time - Risk profile of neonicotinoid insecticides".

It was originally given in german, but yesterday I visited him to record an english version of his lecture for the international beekeeping community.

You can see and listen to this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4RIDWuCN-A

Greetings from Germany,

Klaus
    Last edited by Klaus Maresch; 02-25-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: insecticides clothianidin imidacloprid pesticides

Default Re: CCD: Risk prfile of neonicotinod Pesticides like Clothianidin and Imidacloprid

That is very interesting, unfortunatey the quaility of the video is poor.
    For those who don't have the patience to watch the whole video I have copied the page with the conclusions (from 25:41):
    Conclusions:

The mode of action of neonicotinoid insecticides derives from almost complete and virtually irreversible blockage of postsynaptic nicotinic AcetylCholine-Receptors (nAChRs) in the central nervous system of insects.

The toxicity of neonicotinoids to arthropods is reinforced by exposure time. Their dose : response characteristics are strikingly similar to those of carcinogens. Thus, there may not be a safe level of exposure.

Imidacloprid is persistent and mobile in soil and prone to leaching.

The contamination of surface water with imidacloprid is massive in some parts of Holland.

Of the 13 components of agricultural intensification, only the use of insecticides and fungicides had consistent negative effects on biodiversity (wild plant, carabid and bird species).

Surface water contamination with Imidacloprid correlates with reduced Diptera (Flies and Midges) abundance.

Strong decline of butterflies since the introduction of neonicotinoid insecticides.

Many invertebrate-dependent bird species (in very different habitats) are declining, some are now extinct.
    If you want to just watch the essence of the talk rather than an extended chemistry lession, I recommend listening from 12:20, when he gets to the biological implications for insects and birds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4RIDWuCN-A

So, as there 'may not be a safe level of exposure' to neonicotinoids, what are we going to do?

Default Re: CCD: Risk prfile of neonicotinod Pesticides like Clothianidin and Imidacloprid

Great. Just great. s
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Thank You for posting.

A pdf of this lecture is available here:

http://bit.ly/gUTFIG

Greetings, Klaus

As a 3yr bk I really wasn't interested in the neonics. But when a 20yr plus master bk I know just lost two yards (16 hives), something is going on.
    It's my understanding these hives were July starts w/ fresh queens, no pesticides, etc. Sure is bizarre that most all the hives died w/o explaination that he can find eh?
    Thanx for posting