Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: skid steer help

Default Re: skid steer help

I dont know ,there is something about getting out of my Bobcat and my foot slipping onto one of the pedals and crushing me . Hydraulics are very unforgiving.

Do not take the lap bar out. I was loading an old bobcat 642b onto a drop deck trailer one night useing a set of ramps. Got amost to the top and I didn't have the ramp in the rubrail just right and it popped out rolled the bobcat over onto its side with a 3 food drop. If the lap bar was out I would have bin hurt badly but got luck with just being knock around a bit because the lap bar kept me from being thrown around inside the cab.

Other note it is luckly other bobcat was there. We just sliped forks under cab and put her on her feet. Luckly I didn't panic as it went over I reach up and shut her down, let it sit for 20 minutes(had to let fluids drain down out of top side) check fluids, fired it up put ramps back in place and I got back in and put her on the tailer and chained it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    I dont know ,there is something about getting out of my Bobcat and my foot slipping onto one of the pedals and crushing me . Hydraulics are very unforgiving.
    Been there, almost done that, when the bar came down while I was exiting the machine, while it was still running. Pretty scary. Now I use a bungy cord to keep the bar up and I turn off the machine.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

So what is the advantage of doing away w/ the bar? I'm missing something.
    no "true" advantage other than saving a few seconds here and there, Imagine going to the fair, and on the roller coaster telling them no thanks on that lap bar I'm a real man....
    Honeydew

Lap Bars are for little girls and housewives .

it was merely a suggestion and didn't know it was gonna be a big deal. we have had bobcats for moving bees since 1980 and everyone is still alive and has all their limbs. just thought i would state my opinion considering i have move more bees with a bobcat than 99% of the people on here. but then again what do i know
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Lap Bars are for little girls and housewives .
    HEY!! Watch it. I'm a little girl and housewife. And I always wear a lapbar.

It says right there on the machine "Avoid Death". i read signs and usually do as told. It's when I don't that I get in trouble.

Little Girls and Housewives Unite!!
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by gregstahlman View Post
    but then again what do i know
    I imagine you know alot. Otherwise you wouldn't have spoken up. So, tell us what you know. Why did you suggest Lapbar Removal? Have you done it? If so, is your insurance any good? What is the advantage? I really want to know. Besides, you brought it up.

Wink Re: skid steer help

Beekeeping 101 starts here.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

alrighty then, i have seen bobcats set up 2 different ways. the first way is a machine fitted with a mast but the cage on the side of the cab is not cut out. the operator must crawl between the mast and the cab to enter the machine. this is the most ridiculous and dangerous thing possible. my dad knew a beekeeper back in the 80's that got his head smashed between the mast and top of the cab by leaving the machine running while exiting. killed him instantly. the other way is a machine with a mast that has the cage cut out. operator must step on the tire and enter through the side. maybe it's just me but i doesn't look very easy to maneuver around the lap bar arms when it is in the up position. as far as bypassing the lap bar, im not going to give details on how to do away with it because i don't want to be held accountable for anything
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Question Re: skid steer help

How many of you have ever seen a keeper wearing a seat belt on a swinger ?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

as far as bypassing the lap bar, im not going to give details on how to do away with it because i don't want to be held accountable for anything
    That's understandable. I bet you don't let help run the machine either, right?

I know a guy here in NY that got his head smashed that way too. He survived and is doing alright now. But I bet his family knows he isn't totally back to normal.

Haven't hardly been around a Swinger. But I don't know anyone who wears a Safety Belt on a Bobcat. Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Haven't hardly been around a Swinger. But I don't know anyone who wears a Safety Belt on a Bobcat. Do you?
    I usually do, but I don't move bees, I dig dirt. I also lift boxed trees which are close to tipping weight. The new bobcats turn off all controls when the bar is raised. Like I said, I have had several close calls but not killed or maimed yet, and don't want to be.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...accidents&aq=0

The link did not work anymore. I think I might just buy a 18-20 foot trailer and maybe rent a skid steer for the first while just to save some $$. Lots of big expenditures in the spring with no $ until fall.

alrighty then, i have seen bobcats set up 2 different ways. the first way is a machine fitted with a mast but the cage on the side of the cab is not cut out. the operator must crawl between the mast and the cab to enter the machine. this is the most ridiculous and dangerous thing possible. my dad knew a beekeeper back in the 80's that got his head smashed between the mast and top of the cab by leaving the machine running while exiting. killed him instantly. the other way is a machine with a mast that has the cage cut out. operator must step on the tire and enter through the side. maybe it's just me but i doesn't look very easy to maneuver around the lap bar arms when it is in the up position. as far as bypassing the lap bar, im not going to give details on how to do away with it because i don't want to be held accountable for anything
    We cut the side of the cage out to see down the side of the pallet ,not to get in and out of the loader. The old 610's or as we call them "helicopter loaders" had enough room to enter from the sides. I've seen new loaders with the entire cage cut off but I don't know something about a 3/4" lid hitting the top of my head sounds painful.

I had a whole pallet flip over and land on top of the cab, last year. Boy am I glad that cab was there. This wouldn't have happened if my machine had a mast.

Can you climb through a clearview mast? If so that would be easier that through a cut cage or between the mast and cage. Just my 2 cents.

Tim Stewart
    Last edited by Tim Stewart; 03-01-2011 at 06:18 AM.

If the mast is mounted right you just tip it forward and go in and out the front. I don't wear a seat belt but use the lap bar, some orchards can be steep and rough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12