Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: walter t. kelley box quality

I have done business with Kelleys, for about 5 years now. I had the same issue with the inner covers, as did StevenG. When I told the sales rep about it, they told me they appreciated my input, and that they had changed the design. Had one other issue with the wooden frames. They seem to be very interested in my input. With a company that has some employees that have been there 30 to 40 year, they have to be doing something right.

I have just finished assembling 20 of their deep frames that have been laying in storage for 15 years, there was no problems, they went together like they were made yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by beeme13 View Post
    when assembling, i used a carpenter's square to make my boxes were perfectly square. the boxes only go together one way...it seemed pretty fool-proof to me.
    Just a comment, beeme13. We get most of our equipment from Dadant. I have found that if I INSIST on squaring the boxes, making them perfectly square, they sometimes rock a little. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I think it's more important that they sit FLAT.

I assemble my boxes on a table saw top, which is a machined surface that's pretty flat. I do use a small 6" x 9" square, but I will cheat it a little, if necessary, to get the box to sit FLAT on the surface.

In other words, I compromise between the two. The ever-propolising bees will do the rest.

Just my 2-cents.

David

I build my own and had a couple of fingers do what your pictures show (after trying to do too many sides at one time), I used some Elmer’s exterior wood putty. It sanded real easy (also making all the fingers even) the end result was that even the sloppy ones you could not see the fingers from the joints after a prime and paint. I know you should not expect to “finish” the boxes to this level but even with a stain I think it would look fine.

I do my own boxes, having a sawmill and shop to work in. Box joints are can be a bear to work with. Just a couple thousands of an inch adjustment to the jig can make life easy or hard come assembly time.

A perfectly made joint in pine can slip together the day it's made and a week later fight you because of humidity change and a bit of swelling in the wood. I like them to slip together, not fight me as you need space for the glue to work properly.

Pine is notorious for cupping as it dries especially in wider boards. But this is easily clamped out, the rocking you speak of leads me to believe someones trim saw may be out of alignment a degree or fraction there of. A couple taps with a mallet should allow the box to rest square then leave it dry after assembly. Let the joint hang a little "loose" but not open. It is common for people to place glue on their joinery only to clamp the glue right back out of the joint with too much pressure.

I am suprised so many people are buying multiple boxes. Especially the supers. A simple lap joint or easily routered drawer joint is sufficient for average handling. Use a water resistant glue or as Some of our local keepers use Liquid Nails (which adheres great and fills great). FYI all my deeps are box joints, my current mediums are box joints, the next batch of mediums will be a routered joint, much faster to cut and assemble. Much similar to a drawer locking joint.

I am wondering if anyone knows how quickly Kelleys ships as I placed an order last week and was told it would ship early this week and it still has not been shipped? Not impatient, just wondering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12