Default German Chinese or other

What grafting tool do you like? I used a Chinese tool last year but the quill got creased and was a pain after that. Thinking about a metal German style or whittling down something on my own.
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Default Re: German Chinese or other

try a few different ones is my advice...my dad started buying the stainless dental picks at our local flea market then he "fashions" that sharp tip into a little itty-bitty spoon...we used to use the chinese a lot...but not since dad started making them from the dental picks.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I have the German one. At first glance it appears to be the same as the Chinese. It is not. It still picks up the larvae where the Chinese picks up the pool of royal jelly with the larvae floating on it. I prefer the Chinese one.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with peacekeeper. You'll have to try several. I had a Chinese tool and caught my kids playing with it. I took it from them, messed with it a bit, then I broke it! I have a master grafter, that I never really felt comfortable with. I like the metal one sided tool that comes with the magnifier that slides down the shaft. I don't use the magnifier, but love the tool. Try several, one will feel good.

We use sable (non synthetic) paint brushes 000 size. I have tried a number of other flasher and more expensive devices but this has given me the best percentage and quickest graft of the lot.

I thought I was being clever but Peacekeeper and Whitetail beat me to it. I too bought a dental pick (Ace hardware, $5) and modified it with a hammer, anvil, file, and super fine sandpaper. I really like it and can work it quickly (for me) for my limited queen production. I had a Chinese grafting tool and it worked well at the start but I didn't like how the tool became tempermental and I needed something I could count on.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...