Default Do pickle jars ruin honey?

I just spent the weekend with my future in-laws in Mass. They make maple syrup every year, and warned me that if you put maple syrup in former pickle jars, it ruins the syrup.

Any experiences of pickle jars ruining honey? Any experiences where you used pickle jars and the honey was fine?

Thanks!

Default Re: Do pickle jars ruin honey?

I used to use plastic pickle buckets from McDonalds for storage and sales all the time and I never got a complaint. If it is good capped low moisture honey and if you thoroughly wash the jars (run thru the dishwasher) I can't believe it won't be just fine.

I don't think its the jars that would be a problem, it would be the cap. I've noticed when using pickle jars for storing sourdough, that it had a bit of that of aroma. Glass isn't really very porous, but those caps have material to create a tight fight that can absorb flavors. At least my guess

My daughter is a pickle eating machine. I buy the two liter and gallon pickle jars (same size lids) at wal mart. I rinse them out then let them soak full of water for a few days then wash them a few times in dish washer. I cant smell anything after first wash but if there is still room in wash machine I just leave em in there a couple times. I cant imagine it would ruin your honey. Letting them soak and the few washes does the trick. It seems if you just hand wash the smell stays in jar. If you dont have a dish washer soak, wash, soak, wash and I think you would be good to go.

I have been told to use only new clean containers if the honey is to be sold. Honey will leach out whatever is in the container or lid and in your case it will be dill.

I use them for feeding the bees. I wash them first. How would glass soak up anything?
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

It's the gasket in the lid that can get you. Made some wild grape jelly years ago and running out of jars I used a cleaned and sterilized salsa jar. I opened it 6 months later to find it had a salsa smell. None of the other jars had the smell.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I agree, it's the caps. I used some old spaghetti sauce mason jars to store some honey and I couldn't get the onion smell off of the caps but the glass smells fine after run through the dishwasher.

Oh, and being from MA. Don't marry anyone from there, you'll regret it
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

pickles or rootbeer will get into the gasket material or permeate a plastic container. Glass containers are fine once washed.

Ya gotta trust me on this. I make pickles and the following year I can easily go find the old plastic buckets that were used last.

The question is "Do pickle jars ruin honey" the answer is only if there are pickles in them
    Honeydew