Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Filling starter/finishers

Dang KC you just shattered my mental picture of you as a medical marijuana tycoon with a few hives in the backyard. In any case wishing you all the best, good to know you a bit better. Wish it was true, though, about me knowing my game, I am actually capable of some pretty good screw ups.

Well, Jim, my biggest screw-up is probably NOT being a medical grower tycoon...becoming a bee tycoon would probably be much easier, what with all that money to launder/invest. I've got a dozen cops in the family, so it legit is my only choice. I started beeking the hard way - home made everything (except for the veil, smoker, and foundation) and catching swarms.

You can fill your smoker up with whatever you want, though.

Re: Filling starter/finishers

OK, on the cells...The first batch went in the nucs, did very poorly, only about half the cells hatched, but the weather was super cold. 2nd batch was a whopping 55% success. Yesterday was day 10 on those, some started hatching then, most of those found new homes with other beekeepers.
    But, every cloud has a silver lining, the last batch of cells was awesome! I got 30 out of 38 to take, for a 79% (that is with unpolished cell cups and a weakish starter) take. I think the difference was that i had practiced on the other grafts. But even more so I started licking the needle between each graft. I quick adding water to the cups as it is impossible to get the right amount where it is supposed to be in the cell. Those cells were treatment free buckfast and vsh. They are in the finisher right now, and happy as a horse. I did end up putting 2 batches of cells in the finisher at a time. The bees made em just fine. I always shake the starter on the finisher, so they are a whopping well fed hive...made lots of HUGE cells.
    One more question, is it ok to have RJ left in the queen cup after she hatches or right before she hatches (tore some cells apart)? I have some saying no and some saying yes. Would that not be an indicator of a well fed cell?

Now I am starting to type posts as long as russell LOL

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

well fed Queen larva will have left over RJ Great sign to see
    this way you know they had plenty to eat

If you looked in just after a swarm cell hatches there is always RJ still in the cup

Velbert, that is what I though, i over feed the finisher and they are packed with bees.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook