Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Filling starter/finishers

Can I shake bees from multiple hives to fill my starter box?

I do not have a specific hive that is strong enough to be a double deep finisher, could I just through frames of brood and bees on top of a hive in a deep box? Will they really fight all that much? Thinking grabbing frames of bees from a couple of hives and putting them on a single, and kapoof, I have a strong finisher.

Thoughts please

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Filling starter/finishers

Yes the bees can come from as many hives as you like it makes no difference.

You don't even have to use nurse bees in the starter either, even old feild bees can start good cells if you leave them queenless a bit longer before putting the larvae in. The finisher should have a good supply of nurse bees around the cells though.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-23-2011 at 04:10 AM.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

The more different hives the more confusion and that is a good thing in a starter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Wait another 7 days it will surprise you how much they can increase in a week if they have lots of hatching brood.

shaking togather works well I use a spray bottle with thin sugar water and spray them down or if there is a good nectur flow on shake bees off the frame then turn side ways and shake out some necture on them ( make sure your combs in strong enought so they dont break the old dark brood combs work well for this and you dont have to shake very hard)
    Last edited by Barry; 02-23-2011 at 07:15 AM.

What about mixing bees in the finisher? If I graft tomorrow/friday, when should i build up the finisher?

Mike
    Last edited by Kingfisher Apiaries; 02-23-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Like us on Facebook

If I was useing starter and finishing colonies I would want to have the graft in the starter for 24 hrs. One day after graft move to the finishing colony. I would set up the finishing colony 10 days before I graft. Mike Palmer posted his cell building methods not to long ago. You should check it out. Its a method that is a lot more convenient than working with starters and finishers. Like anything with raising good queens you need to have an apiary with plunty of resources ( bees and brood) to make it work.

No problem to mix bees in the finishers. We used to do that 24 hours before the cells went in but to be honest didn't have any hard data to say you had to.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Oldtimer - hope you are OK. Just heard about the earthquake down in New Zealand and prayed for you. Let us know how us beekeepers can help those who need it...supply lists, whatever you can think of. You can private message me with an address to send anything. We owe it to you!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-01-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks for that.

The US Government has offered to help us but we've said no, we can handle it. But great of you guys to offer to be there!

No damage where I live.

A strong reminder that we don't rule nature, we are very feeble!

Sure glad you're OK. Last time we had a big quake, I got tossed up off the couch about 20 inches. Outside the transformers on the telephone poles were popping like a fireworks show, lighting the night sky. I got seasick standing up on the ground. The biggest aftershock hit while I was rappelling off a bridge. Certainly true, were are NOT in charge. Also a reminder how thankful we are that you shared so much of your wisdom with us!

The biggest aftershock hit while I was rappelling off a bridge. E]

I just hate it when that happens.

Like us on Facebook

Sorry about off-topic. Oldtimer is one FANTASTIC resource and that was a BAD quake! That was one memorable rappel - I know what a fish feels like when you haul it up the pier.

Anybody running separate starters from finishers? I'm trying it this year.

Come on Mike earthquakes- rapelling off bridges- starters/finishers. Am I the only one seeing the connection here?

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Come on Mike earthquakes- rapelling off bridges- starters/finishers. Am I the only one seeing the connection here?
    Seriously don't mean to make light of a tragedy. Posted on this on Coffee Klatch a couple of days ago without much response

Mr Lyon, I really think you need to find some more stuff to do in your shop
    Or feed a few more yards if you are down here!
    Just kidding of course.

Filled the starter a few minutes ago, out of a bunch of hives, we will see how it works. Boosted the finisher from some hives too. Like I said, we will see how it works!

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Not at all, a good conversation, and interesting to hear others stories.

For us, we have to dust ourselves off and carry on. Some humor is a good thing.

However, back to topic.

so, Mike, YOU are running a separate starter colony from your finisher colony? How did you opt - queenless starter / queenright finisher?

I think I recall reading that Oldtimer ran a queenright combo starter/finisher.

From what setup could I expect the best quality queens?

I run a separate starter/finishers. That is the method that I have seen used and all my books say to use. I want try to use the single starter/finisher at some point.
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

The bees are really working the screen on the bottom of the starter, i mean a bunch of them. Is this normal?

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast