Default Frames with crystalized honey...

I have some frames in one of my hives that have capped, crystalized honey from last year. Here are some things I have read on these forums, and I want to know if any of this is true:

1) if you leave crystalized honey in your hive, the crystals will get redistributed and mixed in with new honey, therefore infringing upon the pure liquid state of new honey.
    2) if you uncap a super of crystalized honey and place it on the bottom of the hive the bees will change the form of the honey. They will do this by getting rid of the crystals, converting what they can to liquid honey and redistributing it throughout the hive, therefore eliminating the crystalized honey.
    3) crystalized honey will make your bees sick.

I would like to know what people here think - are these statements true, and what do you do with crystalized honey in your hives?

Default Re: Frames with crystalized honey...

Do not uncap it just put the box on the bottom of the hive the bee will use it.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

In 1 you say the crystals will cause more crystals, in 2 you say they won't. Something to think about. Three is a myth.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

1. Assuming the hive is healthy, no.

2. True, Kinda. You don't need to uncap it, if it's where the bees will use it they will clean it up. Uncapping may encourage this, but an uncapped box of honey on the bottom may also encourage robbing. If it's badly crystalized and there's a lot of it the bees may not convert all the crystals I have seen them thrown out of the hive like sugar, after being licked clean.

3. Mostly no. But crystalised honeycombs can also ferment because the osmotic pressure of the honey has been reduced. Bees in winter who cannot leave the hive for extended periods, and have to eat fermented honey, can get dysentry.

A general rule if you have these combs would be put them in a healthy hive with enough bees to be capable of tackling the cleanup job and don't overdo it, should be fine. Put the comb in a place in the hive where they'll need to clear it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).