Default SBB limiting brood exspansion ??

I run my hives with the debri boards in during winter. All have 3 to 5 frames with eggs and brood within 1 inch from bottom of frames.
    I inspected a friends hive DD with open SBB all the frames were void of eggs or brood 2/3 the way up the bottom frames. My question is this related to the open SBB ? The hives are a mile apart.
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY

Default Re: SBB limiting brood exspansion ??

Yes. The bees won't raise brood where cold drafts will make it inefficient to do so. They should move a little further down later when it is warmer. That's one reason why I don't use SBB's anymore.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by A'sPOPPY View Post
    My question is this related to the open SBB ?
    Very likely. It's still winter - even in Kentucky - and as Wired noted, the bees will stay up out of the draft.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. SBBs have been proven effective as part of an IPM system to reduce the impact of varroa. Having the broodnest up a few inches in late winter doesn't have any negative aspects that I know of.

As an aside, I'm well north of you, and I leave my SBBs open all winter.

I noticed the same thing, inspecting my eight.

There is always one outlier in the bunch though.
    Except for the one, (Russians brooding in the bottom box, with open SBB) the rest were consistent. Either SBB with mite tray or solid bb, brooding in bottom box. Open SBB, brooding in top box.

But agree with Indy, maybe not necessarily a bad thing. I don't notice any fewer bees in the hives with open screened bottom boards, and we had subzero with wind. In fact, my impression was maybe fewer bees in the two with solid bottom boards, but not enough hives to draw any conclusions.

Has anyone set up any comparisons just to see what happens?

disclaimer, limited experience, just finishing third winter and only 8 hives.

1st year beekeeper here, just made a bunch of sbbs also made some slatted racks, going to try some hives with, some without (slatted racks that is). I will see how much of a difference it makes hopefully. Supposedly, besides giving the bees more clustering room, the racks also allow the bees to lay farther down because it helps keep the drafts off the frames.

JC