Default Spring Nuc Management

This is my first year of over wintering some 5-frame nucs. I split some deep hive bodies and over wintered these double nucs on top of existing hives as Michael Palmer described. We have had record snow pac this winter, and I was finally able to check my hives last week. I have about a 60% survival wtih the nucs so far. Some of the nucs are small clusters, but several are pretty large. I put sugar boards with pollen patties on all the hives and nucs since stores were low.

My concern is how quickly will these larger nucs need more room. People talk about these nucs really taking off in the spring and I really would like to avoid them swarming. But, transferring them to to 10 frame equipment risks chilling the brood. I expect another month of pretty cold weather where I live.

When is the best time to move them to full size equipment? Should I consider placing another nuc hive body on top of the strong colonies until it warms up?

Thanks

Default Re: Spring Nuc Management

You want to transfer the strong ones before you see any Dandelion blooms. When would bloom time be in CT? Mid-April?

Where I live, dandelion bloom occurs mid to late april. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peakebrook View Post
    My concern is how quickly will these larger nucs need more room. When is the best time to move them to full size equipment? Should I consider placing another nuc hive body on top of the strong colonies until it warms up?
    No expert here... almost everyintng I know about OW nucs, I learned first from MP- and then from doing it and sharing experiences with friends so that our learning is multiplied. What is the main lesson we have I learned? Managing them is more art than science. But that is the fun part too.
    I wonder if bloom or calendar is the cue.. I lean towards bloom- and of course what is happening inside. And what is happening in your big hives, as the nucs are just a mirror in miniature of that.
    In No VA, cherry bloom is the outer edge of timing for moving healthy 1 story nucs out of single story deeps (early to mid April here). You can not live in this area and not be super keenly aware of cherry bloom as it is a major event in DC with daily news reports! We have found that the Spring equinox (March 21) is about our time to move nucs, even though nights can still be quite cool. last year that was about a week after Red maple bloom. Maybe a bit more. Many of us sold a lot of them exactly at this time. Even then, those moved into foundation were much more prone to swarm and I wonder if we could have moved them earlier. The second story nuc box seems to help buy some time, and provide more food, but how much time I am not really sure.
    karla