Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Provisioning new nucs?

I have been using 4 frame nucs for several years but am considering 4 way mating boxes. Dadant just added the Shamrock-S 4 way mating boxes to their catalog but I don't know if new frames with foundation and young bees is enough to get started. I have read on this site over the years that some get away with a handful of bees and a queen while others provision heavily. My experience with 4 frame nucs is that the more provisions the better the odds of success. I know you have to keep an eye on mating boxes because they can expand quickly but my question is more toward initial set up. Could I get 10 Shamrock boxes, shake in a bunch of bees, add mated queens (to get them started) drive then a couple miles away and have success or is it better to have a colony draw out the Shamrock on top and then use it for queen rearing?
    Lets assume good weather and a nectar flow plus a feeder and a patty.

Default Re: Provisioning new nucs?

I have used a 24 oz styrafoame cup of bees and a queen cell on new plasticell and a feeder full of HFCS but you have to leave them closed up until the queen is 3 days old,(in a dark cool Place) a laying queen would be best.

Do you mean a caged queen would not be released?
    Last edited by Barry; 02-24-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: quoting

talking about a queen cell and 24 oz cup of bees let the hole nuc stay closed, they will all leave if not closed up till she is 3 days old from cell hatching

a laying queen you can jut let them chew her out and leave nuc open

Very interesting. So using mated queens might be a faster way to get started. I had hoped to add mated queens until the nucs were up and running and then replace with cells from my own operation while using the mated queens to requeen production colonies.

shake out your bees into one container (i run my shook bees through a queen excluder this way they are all workers and no drones or queen)and let bees stay queen less all day and then place in the Mini compartments in late evening just before dusk i have me a hand spray bottle (with a very light mixture of sugar water) i spray down the bees a few times before dipping up my 24 oz cup of bees that is not 24oz of bees but a cup that holds 24 oz of liquid = 1 1/2 pints of bees

its Better to Make you a box (shaker Box out of ripped 2 x 4 with 1/8" hardware cloth covering it on all sides) ) to hold your shook bees (10-20 lbs) of bees in, make it the size where you can set a brood shell on top to funnel the bees into it, also Place a queen excluder on the shell and run your bees through it. When i get my bees shook in remove the brood shell and excluder. Then place a hive top feeder on top of the shaker box. Some Time i will let them stay in the shaker box a day or two with plenty to eat and gorging on feed they are ready to produce wax and start building wax on your new frames

place your caged mated queen into the compartment after you pour in the bees always spray the bees with you sugar water make a very light sugar water this will help keep them from flying

Velbert, how do you start mating nucs with bulk bees this time of year? How many bees?

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Velbert,

Would you mind describing your shook box a bit more. I figure it is 16 1/4 X 20 outside to match your brood box above? Do you wrap the shook box and then add a cover? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Velbert, how do you start mating nucs with bulk bees this time of year? How many bees?

mike
    I use a 12oz styrofoam cup of bees for new starts (not 12oz of bees but a cup that holds 12oz of liquid) and a ripe queen cell ( within 6-12 hrs of hatching) on new foundation and leave them close till the queen is 3 days old from hatch date and leave in a nice dark cool place, then at the end of the 4th day from placing ripe queen cell in at dusk move to location and open up

The 4 frame top bar Mini Nuc that made it through winter i will divide them in half to start more and give them a ripe queen cell and place them on location and open up so they can fly out to work
    Last edited by Velbert; 02-22-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Velbert - 2 Questions:

Are you talking about a regular 5 frame deep nuc box - or a mating nuc?

If you are doing this to produce nucleus hives - If you do this in the spring how much will a nuc like that build up in a season?
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 02-22-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: To keep it from sounding stupid.

Last edited by Barry; 02-24-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: quoting violation

Thought probably so, but nobody was saying mating nucs. Now I feel dumb. I'm used to it though.

Thats ok that is how we learn

At the begging he was talking about the 4 way deep from Shamrock I have done 5 frame 1/2 length deep Mini Nucs

Velbert

Nice pic of your shaker box setup.

Nnow that you have your say 10lbs of bees with queen, as you say they are ready to draw comb, do you dump the whole contents into a std deep brood box to finish? or add foundation frames to the screened box?

I don't follow how the mating hive enters into it unless you further diveie them?

Thankx

Jack

These Bulk Bees are used to stock several mini mating nucs 12oz cup of bees with a laying queen or a ripe queen cell for the 4 frame top bar from www.beeworks.com put feed inside also

or if stocking the shamrock 4 way deeps use at least a 24oz cup of bees with a laying queen or ripe q cell and put feed inside also

Go back and start reading from the 1st post there is more info there just reading 2 or 3 post it can become confusing
    Last edited by Velbert; 02-23-2011 at 06:03 AM.

What's the minimal amount of bees that you would place in a 5 frame medium nuc with or without a mated queen?

I want to start a handful of overwintered queens this year. I'd like to start without a brood frames, since I don't have a lot of resources. But, I don't know how successful I'd be.

More tips would be great.

Thanks

No less than a Quart full of bees in the prime time of spring Here in my area that would be about blackberry bloom
    Last edited by Barry; 02-24-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: quoting

'More tips would be great'. ditto! I like the way you explain WITH PICS!

Q. Your shake box fits over a deep super?

Q. The Shamrock or other 4-ways for heat sharing or efficient use of eq both?

Q. Can you buy the small frames/foundation separately if you want to make box?

Q. How do you feed mating nucs? where do they have/get their provisions?

Q. After Qn is mated & you are finished w/nuc just combine bees w/another hive?

I am in Fingerlakes/Rochester area of NY. Temperatures are pretty cold here till late May.
    Q. Do you stack for heat help? what do you recommend?

A pic by pic Queen Rearing course with this method would make me smile for a mile.
    Last edited by lakebilly; 02-24-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

That would be nice LOL
    Last edited by Barry; 02-24-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: quoting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast