Default Pollen in Viginia in Feb?

I live in Stafford VA. The bees were bringing in a lot of pollen yesterday. I didn't think anything would be blooming this early. Friday was very warm (upper 70's) and I opened the inner cover and pulled a couple of frames just to see what was going on. Imagine my surprise when one of the frames contained what looked and tasted like nectar. I haven't fed anything since late last fall and there is plenty of capped sugar “honey” in the hives.

The pollen was a dark yellowish/tan color and their pollen baskets were full. Every other bee returning was absolutely loaded with the stuff. Any ideas about what the girls were bringing in?

Steve

Default Re: Pollen in Viginia in Feb?

Best Bet;
    Do a Google search for allergy and pollen use your Zip Code. Bingo !

PCM

Check the Sticky with bloom data here on Beesource. AND, submit the info here when you identify it!

I seen the same thing happening here in Central ky, bringing in "alot" of pollen!!

Do you have wooded streams, small creeks or ponds near by; within a couple miles? From Google Earth, I think you do!

It might be Skunk Cabbage. Not sure if the color is right for what you are seeing though. I believe it is a grayish yellow.

"Yes, skunk cabbages have their own heating systems, a rarity in the plant world. Skunk cabbages can convert stored energy into enough heat to melt ice and snow on the ground around them. If you put your finger inside the reddish purple sheath and touch the actual flower head, you'll find that it's quite warm - sometimes as much as 36 degrees warmer than the outside air.
    This heat generation, which lasts for about two weeks, protects the bloom and also attracts various insects.....- Bees like the skunk cabbage for the same reasons. Because they don't generally like to fly during cold weather, they will visit a skunk cabbage on a chilly day, crawl inside to the warmest spot where the pollen is located, collect the pollen, and after having warmed themselves a bit, leave for their next destination."
    http://www.hovmg.org/HOVMG/Radio%20S...unkCabbage.htm

Here in Eastern Oklahoma the Red Cedar is producing pollen now and I watched my girls bringing in loads of it yesterday.

I have a huge Pussy Willow (Salix) tree in bloom. My bees (Maryland) are bringing in white (assume Salix) and orange pollen.

My bees have been bringing in dull yellow/khaki pollen for a few days now. I collected a sample and looked at it under a microscope. It is football shaped with more rounded ends. I still haven't positively identified it though. My best guess, according to what could be blooming and the images of pollen I have been able to find, it could be pussy willow. I haven't seen any in the area but that doesn't mean its isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    Best Bet;
    Do a Google search for allergy and pollen use your Zip Code. Bingo
    Bingo?

Pollens that causes allergies and pollens that feed the young larvae are of different varieties, from all I have read. We are not concerned with allergens.

Wayne

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it is pussywillow because I have one on the south side of the house and it is not blooming yet. I do live near large areas of water (Potomack creek and river are nearby) and low swampy ground, so the skunk cabbage is a possibility. They are still bringing it in.

My guess would be Red Maples. They start as early as December here in Northeast Fl. you may not see any blooming but, the bees will find them. The majority of Maples here have almost bloomed out already this year. Clover is getting into full swing now.

Saw my first red maples blooming yesterday (2/21). The crazy weather (high of 73 yesterday) has gotten things moving, hopefully the cold weather this week won't set things back too much.....

Round these parts it is red ceder and elm soon if the weather holds
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries