Thread: moved hive

Default moved hive

Today me and my eldest son moved my hive about 1/4 mile from its place.I put a entrance reducer with the smallest hole pluged with one sheet of wet tolet paper and a top feeder on top they were almost out of stores.Should I wait until Monday and unplug it I've read that a bees memory is about three days I 'm planing to loose them Monday with a branch in front of the hive and hope they won't go back to their old place.QUESTION is this overkill these bees shoild be alright for three days they've got sugar water a sbb for ventilation?

Default Re: moved hive

Monday should be good since you only moved it a mile, place a branch or some kind of obstruction in front of the entrance. This will cause them to take a closer look at the new location, and re-orient.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Default Re: moved hive

Brent opened them up at dark Sunday night their doing great Thanks.For hive #2 its on a hive stand three 1/2 ft high I would like to put the hive almost in front of where it is now but about twoft lower.How can I keep them from going back to their old spot?