Default How to use Bee Quick/Bee Go?

Hi,
    I was wondering how you all use the Bee Quick product? Is a fume board a necessity or a convenience?
    I have 5 hives.

A local bee keeper told me he just sprays the inner cover with the product.

Would that make the inner cover unusable for a while?

Thanks

Default Re: How to use Bee Quick/Bee Go?

I suppose that could work but personally I would want to replace the inner cover with another one once you are done.

The fume board works well in warm sunny areas. In Santa Cruz it may be less effective.
    Get a triangle escape board and figure out how to use it. It will work in any weather.

I used Fischers Bee Quick last year with a fume board which is nothing much more than a cover with cloth stapled to the inside to hold the Bee Quick. It worked well when it was warm (70's) but we also used it on a cooler day (mid-60's) an it did not work very good. That's exactly what the instuctions said would happen.

The comment about the bee escape board I agree with IF you have the time and can open up the hive, install the bee escape, wait a day or 2, and come back to collect the supers. I saw them used on some hives last season and I was amazed on how well they cleared the supers. The Bee Quick is a one stop honey collection tool.

This year I plan to try the bee escape boards (need to build some first) and have the bee quick handy if I don't get around to making those escapses or time gets away from me.

What is a bee escape board? I looked in the Dadant catalog and could find nothing.

Last year I used what I call a honey collection board(bottom board with no bee entrance and painted so as to be able to wipe honey away) and put a inner cover with a bee escape on it. It worked ok but found bees still in there a few days later.

Thanks

You can build a fume board out of scrap for nothing. Any cotton cloth on the inside will work ie... an old tee shirt. Just make sure the tee shirt is stapled tight to the inside and don't leave the fume board on to long.

Hey guys and gals try this, it cost nothing to build this fume board.

A piece of brown corrugated cardboard a little larger than the rim of the box below it.

After applying a line Bee Go zig zag across the cardboard it works as good as the acid board I built with black painted metal, burlap and hard ware cloth all framed in wood.

I have been using this type of bee mover for years and toss it when done in the yard.

Walt

Jpryce,

The bee escape board is:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/774/

Fuzzy

As has been suggested above, I use a piece of carboard. I spray painted the outside flat black, I just used the stove paint I already had. It worked great.

Tom

Always learning from this board! Black painted cardboard.... Terrific and thanks. The fume board works much better at even 50 plus degrees if you fill its cover with smoke as you are placing the board on the hive. The bees drive the smoke down and out and while doing so, carry the fumes down with it. Quite quick and effective. Use two of them, so that one is always working while you are as well. OMTCW

You are comparing a couple of different products that work on fume boards or scrap cardboard. I prefer a scrap of old carpet. You just need something to hold the liquid as the fumes escape.

One of my personal homemade recipes is artificial almond extract, tea tree oil and a little isopropal alcohol to aid the evaporation. Very little odor and nothing left in the hive or on me. I always seem to be harvesting honey when the temps are rather high, along with the humidity.

However, if I use Bee-quick, my wife will let me back in the house but will ask which floozy I've been hanging around with. Use Bee-go and she'll call the Haz-Mat team to quarantine me, hose me down with Febreze, sand-blast me til I'm blistered, dust me with activated charcoal, then make me sleep on a bed of Odor-eaters in the garage for the rest of the week.

My choice is obvious.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post
    The fume board works much better at even 50 plus degrees if you fill its cover with smoke as you are placing the board on the hive. The bees drive the smoke down and out and while doing so, carry the fumes down with it. Quite quick and effective. Use two of them, so that one is always working while you are as well. OMTCW
    If you use smoke, won't the bees uncap the honey from the supers you are trying to remove?

If you use the escape don't use the little dadant one, bees get stuck in them. The Brushy one is a good one.
    We use the fume board & bee quick here. Usually put a bottom board in the wheel barrow shake as many bees of the frames as possible than stack them in a box in the wheelbarrow with the fume board on it.

Since we extract in the house we next move the boxes to the truck tailgate in the front yard, Brush off all remaining bees, & transfer the frames to another box with a towel covering it.
    No bees in the house yet.
    Dan

Your thread header asks how to use bee go/ bee quick.

First thing I can say is Carefully

These are two different products. Bee go is nastier. Women hate the smell. A great product to bring in the house if your a man who want a divorce.

Seriously though. It is important to use both these products in small amounts and work up. The are temperature sensitive. The evaporation pressure on both is different but both will gas off at a higher rate at high temps.

Both will kill bees although I would say you are more likely to kill them off with improper use of Bee go.

You can use anything from a million dollar fume board all the way down to a piece of cardboard to move the bees.

A good way to apply the board to the hives if your not sure is to first "seal" the board half a second and then slowly wave it up and down at a slower rate as the bees move out of the top couple of inches. You really need to give the top bees a little time to bail off the top bars before you "shut the door"

Bees killed from bee go is a sickening sight to say the least. Start with small amounts. Give the bees time to run. and if they start bailing out of the front door realize you have used it either to long or to concentrated.

Practice like other stuff in life will make it work.

With 5 hives you might want to just shake the frames or use a brush and skip the bee go. Never did understand why someone with so few hives would use the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
    If you use smoke, won't the bees uncap the honey from the supers you are trying to remove?
    Not enough time for them to do anything like that. It's a fast acting and very efficient way of getting them out of the honey supers without having to return to the apiary to collect the honey - saves on time and gas. In contrast, "bee escapes" "triangular escape boards" allow the bees too long a time during which the neighboring bees can find some hole somewhere to rob the honey supers being vacated and no longer defended - and you have to make a return trip to collect the honey supers. Always check for small holes between honey supers when using bee escapes.
    OMTCW

I want nothing to do with anything that smells as bad as Bee Go. I've never used any, but somebody at a queen rearing seminar I attended had gotten a little bit on her bee suit. Yucky stuff.

I have found that a leaf blower works well.

Twall, I thought I had come up with with the simplest, LOL
    Yours is one better with the black paint.

Walt

grant i was wondering if you would give up that recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Walt McBride View Post
    Twall, I thought I had come up with with the simplest, LOL
    Yours is one better with the black paint.

Walt
    Walt,

I can't take credit for the idea, I read it hear on beesource, I think. Anyways, it works and the investment is low!

Tom