Default DFW area bee capture question - when to capture?

Newbee here. I live on the south side of the Dallas/Ft Worth sprawl on the bordeline of the urban to rural change. I already have bees coming to a pan of sugar syrup I put out this week. Friday I'm going to try to track them down. (it was way too windy to follow them yesterday)

Given our crazy weather in late feb-march...when should I try to capture the wild hive?

Default Re: DFW area bee capture question - when to capture?

I would track them down and find their location. If they are in an area where nobody will be bothering them and vise/versa I would set out swarm traps instead of capturing them. You could catch 2-3 swarms a year from that one location.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I concur with that, don't remove them from a tree. Free bees from bee trees are not free bees at all. 7 hours later, you might have a hive that has a 66% chance to survive.

Swarm traps are easy to make, look them up on youtube.
    Find out about my Swarm Trapping book at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekee...-to-swarm-trap

Thanks for the advice.

Some beekeeper appreciates you feeding his bees

Quote Originally Posted by outofabluesky View Post
    I concur with that, don't remove them from a tree. Free bees from bee trees are not free bees at all. 7 hours later, you might have a hive that has a 66% chance to survive.

Swarm traps are easy to make, look them up on youtube.
    Look them up on outofabluesky's you tube channel! I'll mention your videos for you!

Wait for the beginning of the green-up and the red bud trees are beginning to bloom. Then you're ok on a safe time of the year to do extractions. Soon, very soon!