Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Greetings from a NewBee in Texas

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Specialkayme 
#1 ·
Grandpa was a bee man. 40 years after he's gone I decided to step into his shoes. Sure wish he was here.:( Best man I have ever known. He told me a lot about beekeeping but I'm having a heck of a time remembering any of it. :doh:

I live on the border line between urban and rural about 25 miles due south of dead center of the Dallas/Ft Worth sprawl. Last week it was 18-25 degrees all week. This week its been 65-80 degrees :)

My grandpa's old home (deserted) has bees living in it. I plan on capturing them. Kinda fits, huh?

I also have a package of bees coming from B. Weaver on April 6th.

Was out painting a couple of new hives last weekend and had a bee show up to inspect my work. I put out a pan of sugar syrup and sure enough I now have have a line of bees working it. Tried to follow them yesterday afternoon, but it was just too windy (15-25 mph) to keep up with their flight. Will try again friday when the wind should be more reasonable. Maybe there's some free bees there too. :applause:

#3 ·
Welcome. I think you'll find that beekeeing in TX has some different challenges than most places in the country but there is a high chance of success if you keep at it. The spring flow is almost here. I saw dandelions yesterday and it's only mid Feb. Who else can say that outside of Florida and Cali?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.